Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisachristine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2006, 02:06 PM
    White ring on oak table
    I have a new white ring on my oak table, How do I get rid of it? Does anybody know?
    hardmanphil Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 18, 2006, 04:32 PM
    Most white marks or rings on furniture are usually left by water or moisture penetrating through the protective finish (varnish, shellac, lacquer etc.) and then getting trapped below the finish. When this happens the finish in that area appears white and looses its transparency. This usually appears in the shape of a ring and happens on a surface like a tabletop. The ring shaped mark happens because it is usually left by a wet drinking glass or hot cup under which moisture condenses (builds up) on the protective finish that has been applied to the piece of furniture. This usually happens on older pieces where the finish has started to crack or craze. The moisture will seep through the small cracks in the finish.

There are a few methods you can use to remove water marks, and I will list them one by one.

Use A Lubricant
    This first method is the easiest and less likely to damage the finish. Apply any type of lubricant oily substance (petroleum jelly, furniture wax, liquid furniture polish etc.) and then let it sit at least 8 hours. If the water ring was not too pronounced, the water (moisture) under the finish will have been replaced by the lubricant you applied.

Try Alcohol
    Slightly dampen a clean cloth with some denatured alcohol and then pass it lightly over the water mark. Make sure you keep the cloth moving and just try to skim the surface. BE VERY CAREFUL. Too much alcohol will dissolve a shellac finish and could damage a lacquer or water based finish. Start with a very small amount of alcohol on the cloth and add more if needed. Make sure you watch closely what is happening. You may want to test this process on an unseen area of the piece first to make sure it will not harm the finish.

After about 30 seconds to 1 minute you should start to see the ring lighten up. Alcohol will remove most water rings, however there are exceptions.

Rubbing Out The Marks
    In the worst cases you will have to physically remove the mark by using a lubricant and abrasive to rub it out. Apply some paraffin oil or mineral oil over the mark and use 0000 steel wool to rub the mark out. Be careful not to cut completely through the finish. Once the mark has been removed, the steel wool will have left the area dull. You will now have to even out the sheen in that area so it is even with the rest of the piece. To do this, once again use paraffin oil or mineral oil as a lubricant along with finer abrasives like pumice powder, or even finer, rottenstone. The finer the abrasive you use, the shiner the finish. Rubbing out the mark is the most likely to do damage to the finish and is the most time consuming. It should only be a last resort if the other methods have failed.
    TWFrenchPolishing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2010, 07:34 AM
    There are all sorts of products to buy for removing ring marks and we find that none of them actually work. The only method we use is dangerous, extreme fun and we have only known it not work twice. But we take no responsibility if you get it wrong! You need methylated spirit, cotton wool and a cigarette lighter. Just dampen the cotton wool with the meths and hold only in your left hand. Hold the lighter in your right hand. Wipe over the ring mark with the cotton wool, make sure that your hand is well away and flick the lighter on at the edge of the mark. The meths will light and the mark will disappear. Do you want to know why? Well the white mark is caused by putting something hot and wet on the table, such as a dripping mug of tea. The heat opens up the pores of the timber which soak in the moisture. As the cup cools the moisture is trapped inside the wood. Meths burns at a very low temperature and does not burn for long. What happens is that the lit meths opens up the pores long enough for the moisture to escape before they close up again. This way you are not disguising the mark, you are removing it. But remember: Only use meths, make sure you use the smallest amount, if it burns for more than 3 second then just blow out the clear flame as you would blow out birthday candles and do not set fire to the cotton wool or your fingers. It will hurt! Also remember that heat resisting mats for your table are not a license to put 200 degree pans on. You will damage your table, the mats resist heat they don't repel it!

For more information visit
    HTML Code:
    http://www.twfp.co.uk
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2010, 01:52 AM
    Thread is now very old and archived.

Original poster has never returned to address posts.

Sufficient enough answers have been given.

Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Installing 3/4 oak hardwood [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to install 3/4 oak hardwood in my kitchen. I have a laminate wood floating floor down now and just had new cabinets installed and there bigger then the old ones. The front of the cabinets sit on the floating floor. My problem is I can get the floating floor up because there's no...

Sealing Grain in Oak Cabinets before Painting? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to paint my cheap oak prefab kitchen cabinets. I am worried that I will have to apply numerous coats to hide the grain. The doors are thin with a frame around them and I think they were sealed with some type of urethane, but that has worn away unevenly. I'm wondering if there is...

Poison Oak Prevention [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I went hiking Friday night with a close, intimate friend and he contracted severe poison oak about a day later. I didn't get any poison oak from this, but I was wearing jeans and long-sleeves. He had shorts and short-sleeves on. So while I most likely did not develop it from the plant, I...

Natural Poison Oak Prevention? [ 1 Answers ]

I tend to have delayed reactions to skin irritants and am concerned about very likely poison oak exposure. (The other person I was hiking with got very severe poison all over his body and we were hiking the same place.) It's possible I do not react to poison oak at this point or that my long...

Removing marks from light oak furniture [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: We have a solidlight oak wood table which someone stood a chilled alliminium lager can on in 2 place and we can't get the stain out - anyideas? Also on another piece of solid light oak wood furniture the rubber pads on the bottom of the telephone have left marks which we can't seem to...

View more questions Search