Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    packfan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Moen soap dispenser stopped pumping soap
    I have a Moen soap dispenser in my kitchen sink (with the soap reservoir that screws in from underneath and the dispenser/tubing contraption slides in from the top).

I slid the dispenser/tubing contraption out to clean it. I disconnected the dispenser part (the knob with the spout) from the tubing. Now, after putting it back together, it doesn't pump soap. I think, however, that a little ball bearing fell out b/t where the tubing contraption connects to the underside of the knob. Could this by why it doesn't have enough suction power to dispense soap? Is all I need to put a little ball bearing back in there?

If so, where do I get little ball bearings (looks like a BB from a BB gun).

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 31, 2007, 07:22 AM
    You may try to repair but since it's a inexpensive item why not simply replace it? Regards, Tom
    packfan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 07:32 AM
    A new dispenser is 40-50 bucks. I really don't want to spend that on what could be a small fix. If you can copy and paste this url in your browser, this is what it is... I just want to know why it's not pumping soap anymore and if missing a ball bearing could be why.

http://www.moendepot.com/moendepot/productdetail.asp?link={3320573F-4750-45FD-B2C2-B9CD65810DCC}&Product=5374&productlist=true&Catego ryName=Kitchen&CategoryId=1&SubCategoryId=9&SubCat egoryName=Accessories&ProductCategoryName=Soap%20D ispensers&ProductCategoryId=185
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 31, 2007, 10:28 AM
    OK! So Moen soap dispensers aren't as cheap as when I installed mine 20 years ago. The ball bearing acts like a check valve in the pumper. It must be in place for the pump to work. Good luck in repairing it. Tom
    lwhitworth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2010, 10:19 AM
    Www.moen-faucet-warehouse.com Replacement pump around $8.00
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2010, 11:39 AM

You can buy the pump for $8-$10, see the image below, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 4, 2010, 06:28 PM

You may have an air lock in that tube. Do this: plug the tiny hole where soap come out with your finger and keep it plugged while pumping 8x with the other hand. Remove your finger and see if it pumps now...

Also, do not use thick soap. They have tendency to plug the small dispenser hole. Moreover, make sure you pushed the plastic tube all the way to the know. Lastly, make sure you filled the dispenser bottle with enough soap so the tube is dipped inside the soap.
    staccato Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2011, 08:16 AM
    I called Moen customer service about the problem. They asked for the model number, my name, address and phone. That's it and no other question. They then said they would mail out the pump replacement part to me. No charge. Only took 2 minutes on the phone. Very good service of Moen! If you're in Ontario, Canada. The number is 1-800-465-6130.
    Daisymoose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2012, 02:59 PM
    The same thing happened to my dispenser. While cleaning it, the little plastic ball fell out. I have it but do not know where it was installed. Can anyone help? Thank you.
    NotMePlease22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2014, 09:54 AM
    @Milo Dolezal Thanks for the tip on the air lock, together with the other warnings about trouble losing the bearing when taking it apart, I got mine working again with no problems. Just took it out an soaked in overnight, ran some clean water through with a few pumps outside the soap, then after I put it back in the dispenser it had the air lock issue. It took me more pumps with my finger over the end but I keep doing it until the soap started coming out. Now all is good and working again. Thanks to all.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 9, 2014, 10:00 AM
    Thanks for the update NMP22...glad you found the site helpful. For future readers, you can also pull the soap dispenser pump up and out of the soap dispenser and just put it into a bowl of hot water. Pump the pump while keeping it in (or under) the hot water a great many times until you see the tube go clear. This can restore those soap dispenser pumps back to brand new...just takes patience (but doesn't require disassembling)!!

Good luck!

Mark
    Triptoph Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2016, 09:30 AM
    I registered to this site just to say thank you Mark! My dispenser hasn't been working for awhile and I was about to try to find the replacement part, get it shipped, then would have to figure out how to detach the old plastic bit and add the new part etc etc... your solution worked perfectly, thank you so much!
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    you can also pull the soap dispenser pump up and out of the soap dispenser and just put it into a bowl of hot water. Pump the pump while keeping it in (or under) the hot water a great many times until you see the tube go clear. This can restore those soap dispenser pumps back to brand new.
    Mark
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 11, 2016, 12:49 PM
    Hi triptoph,

I registered to this site just to say thank you Mark!

Welcome to the site. Thank you for taking the time and effort to join AMHD.

I'm sure that Mark appreciates the thank you note. Mark and others on this site have helped many people over the years. Once and a while someone says thank you but most of the time they just fade away without a word.

For someone to registrar for the sole purpose to saying thank you is unheard of and I commend you for it.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2016, 01:33 PM
    Absolutely true. Frequently, someone will post a problem, people respond with solutions, but the original poster never replies. Kind of frustrating.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 11, 2016, 02:47 PM
    Hi triptoph

As stated, it is very nice of you to take time to show your appreciation. I am glad you found the repair useful. There are a bunch of great people on this site that have experience in all phases of home repair and remodeling so please keep us in the back of your mind if you ever need advice again. Have a good day!
    Gaggydit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2017, 04:15 PM
    Simple solution. I used a 96% silicon gel on the plastic part of the pump that plunges in the cylinged. Remove the pump from the cradle. After placing the silicon gel on the plastic, force the pump until you get almost no friction. Add more as necessary. That's it. It now works perfectly. I agree w comments about Mien except why didn't they say to do what I did? I've gone through several pumps they've supplied for free. Must be costing them a fortune. A plastic on plastic pump is ridiculous in the first place. How can a product that costs a lot of money have such a poor, cheap piece?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Has anyone ever tried grisi mother of pearl soap or their papaya soap? [ 2 Answers ]

I've purchased a bar of grisi mother of pearl soap(concha de nacar) and it is supposed to aid in fading small brown spots. If anyone has had experience withthese two products,can you give me insight as to how well it actually works?

Soap? Or Dirty? [ 23 Answers ]

If your not supposed to use soap to clean down there on a woman's body... then what do you use?

Whitening soap [ 2 Answers ]

What's the best whitening soap u can recommend?

Soap Actor [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone te;ll me the name of the Actor who played 'Christian' in Hollyoaks??

Soap Awards [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone no when the Soap Opera Digest Awards are on or when the nominees are announced, can't find anything about it on the net.

View more questions Search