Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jstape Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2010, 09:23 AM
    Hot water heater - only luke warm water
    Ok, so we are having one of our bathrooms remodeled. About 2 weeks ago the plumber came out and replaced all the piping for that bathroom. Then suddenly our adjacent bathroom had no hot water (well luke warm water, but we are in Phoenix and it is 111 degrees, so even the cold water is luke warm right now).

These two bathrooms share a wall, and from what I can tell the piping comes down from the ceiling and splits off to the two bathrooms.

There are two other faucets in the house - one is in the garage next to the hot water heater, that faucet seems to get the hottest water, and the kitchen faucet, (which is about 10 feet from the hot water heater) which is warmer than the bathroom, but when I used a thermometer to test the temperature was only putting out 90 degree hot water, and that is only for a couple of minutes before it cools back down.

We thought it was the top heating element, and replaced that. Nothing changed. So we thought that the thermostat was bad too, and changed that as well. Nothing changed. The bottom heating element and thermostat seems to be reading fine (using a Fluke to test for power, etc).

Any suggestions? I don't think that this is related to the plumbing changes, but I am at a loss.

We set the thermostat for the same temp as it was previously, but we were thinking of turning it up and seeing if that helped?
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Jul 2, 2010, 11:03 AM
    Since you have a fluke, you can measure the resistance of the lower element before replacing. You MUST shut off power to the heater first! Then you check for voltage with the fluke meter, if voltage is not present remove one wire from the lower element terminal, set your fluke meter to ohms or the inverted U seting and read across the two element terminals. You should get a reading between 10-20 ohms depending on what you wattage rating is for that element. I can tell you in my experience the lower element is the failure (of the two) the majority of the time.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 2, 2010, 01:18 PM

Call the plumber back. It is either something he did in the repiping or it's a broken or deteriorated dip tube in the water heater.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

All bathrooms in house have hot water except one, it only get luke warm water [ 3 Answers ]

I am having trouble with hot water in the master bath of the house (shower, tub, and two sinks). I was informed that maybe the cartridge in the shower would possibly cause the problem. Replaced the cartridge and still having the same problem. I have hot water in the other bathrooms and kitchen...

Replaced water heater, still receiving luke warm water,Why? [ 19 Answers ]

:(At first me and my husband started with replacing elements and thermostats on our current water heater, due to the fact we wasn't receiving hot water. ( It would be luke warm to cold quickly.) Didn't work. So, we purchased a new water heater and had it installed by an experienced friend of ours,...

Luke warm temp from gas hot water heater [ 13 Answers ]

About 6 days ago, we suddenly only had luke warm water from all our hot water faucets. I called the hot water heater help line and they sent me a new thermostat. I had a friend (who is a pro) install the thermostat, and still no hot water. I can see the pilot is lit. I can hear a constant "roar"...

Luke warm water from hot water tap [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a condo (efficiency) that was converted from a motel. I 've had and have problems with hot water in taps. The unit is old and the feed pipes from the hot/cold water supplies are not accessible. Last year all I got was luke warm water from the shower and two taps in the unit. I had a...

View more questions Search