Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    19Chesster52 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 02:27 AM
    Louisiana Inheritance Laws
    In the State of Louisiana, where community property is concerned, if both spouses had children before the marriage (due to previous relationships) and children together during the marriage, if one of the spouses dies and there is no will, who inherits the property?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Hello 19:

It depends on the property and how it was held. IF we're talking about REAL property, if the title was held as "tenants in common or joint tenants with rights of survivorship", then the spouse gets it. If it was held differently, then ALL the children share it equally.

excon
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Actually, I think that Louisiana has strange inheritance laws compared to the other states because of their law being based on the Napoleonic laws instead of the British common law. Which is a long-winded way of saying, this is probably best addressed by talking to a lawyer in the area, who will also be able to draw up the required documents so that the inheritance is distributed the way the parents want.

And a quick Google got me this from Louisiana Law on Probate, Successions and Usufruct :

If there is no will, the state has a will in which certain assumptions are made. The first assumption is that the spouse should not inherit anything from the other spouse if there are children. The next assumption is that for separate property, nieces and nephews should inherit before a spouse. This usually comes as a big surprise to the surviving spouse.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Yes, Louisiana uses French law as a base for its law, not the english common law that most of the US used. And even a differnet land owership laws than any other state in the union.
    lakejana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2010, 01:37 PM
    When four siblings inherit equal undivided interests in a piece of property, what amount of agreement is required to take action regarding that property? Is it "majority rules" or is it 100% agreement?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2010, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lakejana View Post
    Is it "majority rules" or is it 100% agreement?
    Hello l:

100%. You can't sell if one owner doesn't want to sell.

excon
    2much2handle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 04:18 PM
    My biological father died recently. My parents divorced when I was about 7. He remarried and had 4 kids ( all adults now). There has been no contact in decades even though we live 30 miles apart. In Louisiana, are my brother and I forced heirs?
    LaLaw Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2010, 02:09 PM
    If you are both older than 23 and are not declared incompetent, then you are not forced heirs. However, unless your father left a will in which his property is left to others, you and your brother do inherit your equal share (along with your four step-siblings) of your father's half of the community of acquets and gains he shared with his surviving spouse.
    LaLaw1111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2010, 02:21 PM
    With regard to the original question, Louisiana does not have joint tenancy or tenants in common with right of survivorship. If a spouse dies intestate (without a will), the children/descendants of the decedant inherit in equal shares subject to the usufruct (right to use the decedent's half) of the surviving spouse.

Oct 15, 2010, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lakejana View Post
    When four siblings inherit equal undivided interests in a piece of property, what amount of agreement is required to take action regarding that property? Is it "majority rules" or is it 100% agreement?
    100% agreement to sell is correct regarding property in Louisiana. However, where such agreement cannot be reached, any one of the co-owners can petition the Court for the Parish where the property is located to have the property partitioned. If the property can be split up and equally divided among the co-owners, the Court can go that route. If the property cannot be divided, then the Court can order the sale of the property through sheriff's auction and the money will be divided among the co-owners. As such auctions typically do not yield the best price, co-owners then typically reach agreement for private sale. It is also an option for the owner not wanting to sell to buy out the others who do.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 03:26 PM

This is one of those old threads that LaLaw seems to have resurrected for some reason. I'm not sure there is even an OP who cares anymore. So why is the discourse continuing?

Oct 15, 2010, 07:39 PM
    Sorry AK lawyer. Just saw the thread and wanted to put out the info for others who may have similar questions. It caught my attention because of the "Joint Tenants" answer (does not exist in Louisiana). However, if the question is Googled, this thread pops up and I wanted to make sure the questions were answered. Sorry that this troubled you.
    okfine40 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2011, 02:44 PM
    Comment on LaLaw's post
    Can an hier sell his interest without the 100% agreement?
    sweetprincess1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2012, 01:12 AM
    The surviving spouse would keep her half of everything. The deceased spouse would split his half with their children. As long as the spouse is alive, they have a right to keep the house unless she would remarry ,unless the spouse had a will specifying as long as she lived.
    gchampagne4193 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2013, 05:37 AM
    Both parents are dead seccession done on father mother then her real estate to children sister got power attorney had six shareholders to donate their shares back to mother so she put mother in nursing home 2shareholders did not give up their shares mother died how long does estate holding six shares have to make seccession on estate IIII contact info deleted to comply with site rules
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 16, 2013, 07:09 AM
    Please watch dates on posts, this post was from 2008, the poster has long since not had this issue.

I have closed it from further answers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Inheritance laws [ 2 Answers ]

If an uncle dies with a will in California, and his nephew is an heir named in his will. What if the nephew dies before any proceeds of will are distributed, and is his wife entilted to any proceeds of the will ?

Theft in Louisiana over 500.00 dollars [ 1 Answers ]

Ihave a relative who what arrested and placed in a holding cell for stealing from his employer. He is going to trial soon. WHat shoud he expect? Jail time or fine and community service. This was his first offense.

Louisiana resident Need Free Eyeglasses [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am desperately in need of a pr of new eyeglasses (bifocal) due to funding cuts the Lion's Club and Social Services say "their is no eye care or free eyeglasses in LA". I''m 54, worked hard for yrs and Medicaid won't even help me. My eyes are all broken out from the frames on these...

Breaking a lease in Louisiana [ 2 Answers ]

I signed a lease up until the month of may. I have to move because I have been relocated so I need to break the lease. What should I do? What will I be responsible to pay? Does this end up on credit reports? Will I have to appear in court? How many days am I required to give notice?

View more questions Search