Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    novice101 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Toilet tank dirty
    I was going to put the blue cleaner into my toilet tank to make the water turn blue. Only when I took off the lid did I notice there are black/brown stuff forming on the surface of the water and the tank looks so dirty.. I don't know when this happen but last time I checked it wasn't like that. What is that black/brown stuff? And how should I go about this?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 01:45 PM
    Hey Novice:

If you put any chemicals in the toilet tank it may increase the rate of breakdown of plumbing parts in the tank... so it is not good thing to do. In fact, maunfacturers have placed stickers in all new toilet tanks stating that cleaning products used in tank will void warranty on parts.

The dirty water you see is just a build up of sediment/minerals, etc. that occurs in any tank that holds water for a long time. Some people choose to clean the tank... but not necessary as water feeds toilet bowl only... and water is actually pretty darn clean... tank is collecting sediments.

Let me know what you think... Mark

novice101 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 06:25 PM
    So those brown/black sediment are nothing major? Can you tell me how to clean it than? And how do I go about changing the flabber? Also, if I want to change a new tank, do I have to buy the same brand or can it be just the same measurement? My toilet is Gerber and I can't seem to find that brand anywhere... thanks for your help
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2008, 07:18 PM
    If you are going to change he tank you need to measure the exact distance between the two holes that have the bolts in it that holds it to the bowl, then buy one that same distance apart. Also one about the same size.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 04:25 AM
    Hey Novice:

If you are dead set on cleaning, I would shut water off at toilet shutoff and take a clean sponge and wipe the inside of tank gently. I would then turn water back on and flush toilet, then refill again, wipe again, flush again, etc. until clean. Any cleaners may just weaken rubber washers/seals... so use water.

Now.. why replace the tank? Is it cracked? Is something leaking? Has flapper failed and water is leaking into toilet bowl?

If tank not cracked but tank parts are getting old you can always replace all the parts by purchasing a fluidmaster complete repair kit (see pic.).

If for some reason you need to replace the tank, you will need to measure hole to hole width at tank bolts of tank like letmetellu has suggested. A local plumbing supply house may be able to help you run down a local distributer of Gerber toilets... or you can find plenty of sites online that sell Gerber... but problem there will be finding someone to confirm hole to hole width matches your number, so I advise against it.

If just leaks past flapper, can always just take the flapper off the flush valve, bring it down to the home supply store and see if one there matches up pretty good (most universal models work pretty good).

Let me know what you decide to do... Mark

Attached Images

liquidnewb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2010, 07:20 PM
    I dipped my hand in the tank water to fix my flush since it got disconnected, but I dipped the toilet sponge (one we use to clean that are left by the flush) in first to reach it don't know what I was thinking afterwards just dipped my hand in would it make the water dirty then? I'm really paranoid washed my hands three times with soap and detergent still concerned I've got germs on me and I am still looking for any alcohol gel to wash myself with got tempted to use my dad johnny walker blue seems to be the only thing with alcolhol. Sorry about the poor language and randomness bit of a hurry writing this down.
    liquidnewb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2010, 07:20 PM
    I dipped my hand in the tank water to fix my flush since it got disconnected, but I dipped the toilet sponge (one we use to clean that are left by the flush) in first to reach it don't know what I was thinking afterwards just dipped my hand in would it make the water dirty then? I'm really paranoid washed my hands three times with soap and detergent still concerned I've got germs on me and I am still looking for any alcohol gel to wash myself with got tempted to use my dad johnny walker blue seems to be the only thing with alcolhol. Sorry about the poor language and randomness bit of a hurry writing this down.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 30, 2010, 03:26 AM
    Nothing to worry about here, Liquidnewb...

The water in the tank isn't exactly "clean", but it certainly isn't dirty like sewer water. Wash your hands with soap and water and you'll be just fine... promise!

Glad you didn't waste the Johnny Walker Blue... ;)

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank doesn't refill. No water in tank make it flush [ 17 Answers ]

My toilet was working properly before tonight. :p There was no slow leak sound; nothing. Now when the handle is pressed, nothing happens. I opened up the tank and found there was no water in the tank. :( I've been searching the Internet for answers, but haven't found any that address this...

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Toilet tank lever breaks when I try to flush toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem trying to flush my toilet. When attempting to flush the plastic tank lever often breaks and when I use the metal tank level they often bend. The only way to flush the toilet is by removing the top and pulling up the tank ball lift by hand. What can I do to solve this problem. Thank...

Toilet is Constantly Dirty and Smelly [ 3 Answers ]

Hello There, We've got a problem with the toilet in our powder room. What we've noticed is that the toilet is constantly dirty. We clean it every second day and within 36-48 hours we have a black/brown build up below the water line. We have tried switching cleaning products to no avail. ...

Toilet tank [ 8 Answers ]

I replaced old toilet and tank with new one. While I was tightening tank bolts I heard crack noise one time so I stopped then I heard crack noise one more time again after I stopped. I checked under tank, under toilet and on floor for couple days but I don’t see any crack or leak. What else I can...

View more questions Search