Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sam4jimenez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2010, 09:15 AM
    What can I do to stop paying child support if my kids don't want to see me?
    I live in Houston TX, & I haven't seen my 2 daughters in a year their last words to me & my wife were "we dont want to be part of this family".They don't like the fact that when they come over on their bi weekend visits they have rules and restrictions to follow (language, chores,appropriate clothes,music,shows,movies,etc... ).This is the second time they have done this to me in the past 2 and a half years,I have been laid off since June of 09 and they take child support out of my un employment and to make that worse congress has stopped all extended un employment benefits and now back pay is starting to pile up.All this for 2 ungratefull kids that I bent over backwards for and tried to show good examples and morals,but they rather have the freedom and the everything opposite of being provided the best at their moms.Finacially they are taken care of at their moms and it isn't fair that my wife and her 2 kids that haven't turned their back on me have to suffer.What are my options is signing my rights away my only choice if I want to stop paying child support?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2010, 09:39 AM

This is a legal question, not a question about raising children. I trust you went back to Court and asked that your child support be reduced as soon as your income dropped.

You cannot sign away your rights to your children UNLESS someone else is ready to adopt them.

Whether you get along with each other or not, whether they are grateful or even pleasant to you you are their father and are responsible for supporting them until the age of majority (and in some cases after that if they are enrolled in College).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 29, 2010, 10:22 AM

Please pay more attention to posting guidelines. There are Read First sticky at the top of the Children forum, where this was moved from, that direct questions of a legal nature to this forum.

The answer to your question is nothing. You fathered these kids and you are required to support them. You can't sign away your rights.

You CAN ask for a modification of your support amounts if your income has changed. But you can't tie visitation to support, they are two separate things. If your kids decide they do not want to visit with you, there is little you can do to force them.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. My only suggestion is to seek family counseling that may help resolve some of the issues.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 29, 2010, 11:53 AM

I would like to point out that your wife and her two kids have NOTHING to do with this.

You and your ex brought those children into the world. You and your ex have a responsibility to support them.

Kids aren't like dogs that you get to drop off at the pound when they don't like you anymore, and get out of supporting them. That is absolutely NOT the way things work.

You want to get out of child support, you have two options: Get your ex to re-marry someone who wants to adopt your kids and then walk away from them for the rest of your life, or go for more custody of them in court.

Those are your ONLY two options.

Either way, I have little respect for people who let their children dictate whether they do the right thing. Just because they don't want to see you doesn't mean you don't have to support them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 29, 2010, 03:31 PM

You can not stop paying support, you can get it set to the amount that fits your current pay status
    JASON1979252001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2011, 06:50 PM
    I HAVE NOT SEEN MY KIDS IN FOUR YEARS.I PAY EVERY MONTH. My ex wife lied took me to court said I did bad things to to the kids. I had to pay to walk away and not go to jail. They found I did nothing to the kids. Still have to pay and I don't see the kids. She THINKS ITS FUNNY AND SAYS IT THE KIDS FAULT IT HAPPENED CAUSE THE OLDER SON HAS PROBLEMS MENTALY. She will not even let me look at them. She has a new boyfriend who has her pregnant,now he is in jail. He has been bad torward her now. She has been the problem the whole time and she knows the state is in her favor and uses 110% of it for her good. She makes a profit on it. Its what the government has made. She has sisters all of them have turned out the same way and keep pumping out more baby's with guys that do not know how they are. Words of wisdom If you marry stay together for years get to know them and hope and pray that you are with the right one cause if not YOU ARE SCREWED. The tenth amendment means nothing and opresion is OK from the state. We left England to get away from this type of life and the US has made it life for some. They say if you don't like it then leave that's against fed law. You have to ran the rest of your life. Its easyer to go to jail or take a bullet in the head. Good luck Hang in there It sucks to all you are not by yourselves. Taxes 35% Child support 60% me 5% to live on. God Bless The USA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

DFS took child away from custodial parent, why am I still paying child support? [ 4 Answers ]

My Ex-wife got arrested along with her boyfriend and my daughter for drugs. DFS removed my 15 yo daughter and placed her in my care, she can't see her mother without supervision. The Ex has a felony charge of child endangerment against her, why am I still paying child support?

Dad paying child support, but can't see kids? [ 14 Answers ]

IM a good father, who works hard and always provided. Now my children have been ripped out of my life, and have absolutely no contact, don't know where they are, nothing. BUt I am expected to pay not a few hundred dollars, but lots of hundreds of dollars for kids I am NOT allowed to see. She is on...

How to prove child is emancipated,so I can stop paying child support? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 18 year old child who graduated in june08.I was told by judge because of new (mass.)law I have to prove she's emancipated, in order to stop child support.She supposedly lives with her mom .doesnt go to school.I can't find any info,because she's 18(privacy laws).On court order it says I...

My ex husband wants to stop paying child support [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I live in New York state. My husband and I split 12 years ago when my daughter was 6. They recently had a break down in their relationship (she's upset because he's moving to North Carolina with his girlfriend), and he's decided to take me to court to...

View more questions Search