Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marie2263 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2010, 12:14 AM
    Cat stiff back legs
    Hello,

Recently I've noticed when my cat walk his back leg is a bit stiff and he stamping slightly whilst walking he seems OK in himself not complaining of pain or anything he eats and drink water well he seems to drink more water since the weather got very hot apart from that he is OK his stiff back leg started I noticed since he is started lying down more on the lino in the bathroom to keep cool in winter he lie down on his padded cushion and seems OK. He is 19 years and 3 months old been a very healthy cat only had Cystitis couple of times but was rid of since took him off eating ham. Could you please tell me what you think it is?

Many thanks in advance

Kind regards

Marie
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 09:15 AM

You have a geriatric pet, Marie, he is l9, and god bless him for getting that old, but the stiff back legs would probably signify joint problems such as arthritis. If that is his only problem then he is doing very well for l9.

Tick
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Jun 26, 2010, 09:13 PM

Arthritis can be treated, and that is a possibility though it could be something else. I would take him to the vet and find out what it is. Even if it's just arthritis, he could very well be in some pain and no need for him to tolerate that if you can give him something.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jun 26, 2010, 11:22 PM

If it is arthritis, which seems likely, then do what you can to make his life easier. Make sure his favorite spots are easy to get to. Make 'steps' out of whatever you have handy if it proves difficult for him to climb up to the bed or couch or window or wherever else he likes to sit. Make sure he has a soft place to sleep. You can also talk to your vet about arthritis meds if it seems like he is in pain.

Jun 28, 2010, 12:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    You have a geriatric pet, Marie, he is l9, and god bless him for getting that old, but the stiff back legs would probably signify joint problems such as arthritis. If that is his only problem then he is doing very well for l9.

tick
    Thank you Tick for your reply I had a feeling it was arthritis but just wanted to make sure, I guess because he'd barely ever been ill in his whole of 19 years that any little ailment now cause a fuss I need to prepare myself for him not going to be 100% after all like you say he is a geriatric.

Cheers

Marie :)

Jun 28, 2010, 12:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    Arthritis can be treated, and that is a possibility though it could be something else. I would take him to the vet and find out what it is. Even if it's just arthritis, he could very well be in some pain and no need for him to tolerate that if you can give him something.

Thanks for your reply I am glad Arthritis can be treated. We took him to the vet and they've done a blood test as well as checked his back legs and joints they said he seems to put his back legs straight back in place and they also gave him an injection for pain he doesn't show that he is in pain nor complaining or anything just walk a little stiffly with his back legs apart from that he eats and drink his water and have a little walk about he is a well loved cat so any little thing make us somewhat nervous.

Jun 28, 2010, 12:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    if it is arthritis, which seems likely, then do what you can to make his life easier. make sure his favorite spots are easy to get to. make 'steps' out of whatever you have handy if it proves difficult for him to climb up to the bed or couch or window or wherever else he likes to sit. make sure he has a soft place to sleep. you can also talk to your vet about arthritis meds if it seems like he is in pain.
    Thank you for your reply yes I think it could be arthritis he has lots of favourites spots to sleep in fact he has taken half of the bedroom space for himself he has his padded jacket, school bags which he'd hyjacked lol his cat bed, cushions and the chair in the lounge which we usually help him to climb he is pretty good he tend to cry if he wants to climb somewhere just to let us know. I am waiting for the test results of his blood test and pray it's just arthritis he seems his normal self apart from walking a little stiffly with his back legs.

Uber Member

Jun 28, 2010, 02:12 AM

I'd be curious the results of the blood work. I'm not a tech or anything, but I've worked with groups online and have gotten to know my way around lab results. Just because of his age I wouldn't be surprised if something shows up, but doesn't mean it's serious. He's certainly lived his share of life apparently mostly trouble-free.

I would have thought the vet would notice if there was something going on with the joints or taken x-rays maybe. Does it seem worse when he first gets up from a rest or is this pretty constant? What you can give him is Cosequin (glucosamine). The vet may want to dump steroids in him but those really aren't good things, so I would try something else first and then only resort to that if it's not working. He may actually be in some pain and you don't realize it. (Waiver: don't be giving him anything until you talk to the vet - just thinking ahead.)

It also could just be something else.

I just noticed that thing about the ham. Aaak! We are not even going to discuss that one!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 28, 2010, 03:54 AM
    I would have thought the vet would notice if there was something going on with the joints or taken xrays maybe. Does it seem worse when he first gets up from a rest or is this pretty constant? What you can give him is Cosequin (glucosamine). The vet may want to dump steroids in him but those really aren't good things, so I would try
    Yes, I agree with the glucosamine, but what I normally used was glucosamine/condroitin which can be bought in health food stores and administered per weight. I would hope that the vet would not recommend steroids for a cat as old as this one; there is no going back once it is being administered. Again, check with your vet before following any of our suggestions.

Tick

Jun 28, 2010, 05:04 AM
    I'd be curious the results of the blood work. I'm not a tech or anything, but I've worked with groups online and have gotten to know my way around lab results. Just because of his age I wouldn't be surprised if something shows up, but doesn't mean it's serious. He's certainly lived his share of life apparently mostly trouble-free.

I would have thought the vet would notice if there was something going on with the joints or taken xrays maybe. Does it seem worse when he first gets up from a rest or is this pretty constant? What you can give him is Cosequin (glucosamine). The vet may want to dump steroids in him but those really aren't good things, so I would try something else first and then only resort to that if it's not working. He may actually be in some pain and you don't realize it. (Waiver: don't be giving him anything until you talk to the vet - just thinking ahead.)

It also could just be something else.

I just noticed that thing about the ham. Aaak!! We are not even going to discuss that one!
    Yes he seems to be worst when gets up but just slight it's more noticeable since he started sleeping on the lino in the bathroom since the weather got hot he was OK when he slept on his think padded jacket or cushion he is himself as usually just a little bother with the hot weather but then he always didn't like the hot weather and sleeps more as soon as it gets cooler he is off and walking about lol he is not much worst than myself with my rheumatism I've had pain in my back the past weeks and find it difficult to get up from the chair or walk I suppose because it's the cat and wasn't sure what it could be for sure and took him to the vet, I will see what the vet say I know my cat so if they said it's something very bad I would know I am not confident with the vet I have and they are very expensive indeed the blood test cost £99 don't know if it's reasonable price it cost £140 altogether blood test and pain killer injections. Thanks for telling me about the Clucosamine I shall look into it I do not want him to have steroids not at his age.

Will let you all know the outcome when I get results from the vet.

Uber Member

Jun 30, 2010, 02:03 AM

Yeah, I'd like to know what happens. Couldn't tell you about the costs since you're not where I am. Cost differ a lot even within the US, but another country is just not easily compared. That would definitely be high relative to around my area.

And it's glucosamine, with a g. :-) The Cosequin is a popular one used that seems to have good results.

Jun 30, 2010, 04:17 AM
    Yeah, I'd like to know what happens. Couldn't tell you about the costs since you're not where I am. Cost differ a lot even within the US, but another country is just not easily compared. That would definitely be high relative to around my area.

And it's glucosamine, with a g. :-) The Cosequin is a popular one used that seems to have good results.
    Well so far the vet rang and gave me all the illnesses my cat supposed to have you would think he would drop dead tomorrow she said nothing of the arthritis which I took him for in the first place operations which cost £2000.00 or more which the cats would have to be away from home for 2 weeks lol anyway I've decided there is no way I would go back to that vet and have been told by neighbours and the pet shop not too go anyway near them they are only interested in money than your pets which I did feel they were doing. Coco seems fine in himself and went for a long walk today around the block he even ran up the last flight of stairs is eating and drinking as usual he seems to be happy because the weather is cooler the past days. I am happy with him but will purchase medicine for his joints "Syn-Flex" glucosamine/condroitin which seems to be the best just need to find a good place to purchase it. I won't be taking him to the vet for the moment as he is happy but I have been recommended a decent vet by the pet shop.

So we shall wait and see.

Marie
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2010, 02:44 AM

There are actually things that can show up in blood work, and be wrong, even when the cat is acting great. Something being "wrong" doesn't mean the cat is going to act all sick. However, since it seems lab work is all they did, I'm not sure how something would show up that would make them decide he needs some expensive surgery - blood work only points a direction. Most of the time you'd need other stuff, like x-rays, ultrasounds, etc. to lead you to something like surgery. (For instance, blood work can show problems with kidneys but it won't show that some mass is there that might be removed with surgery.)

So how they came to that conclusion I'm not sure. I would still keep a close eye on him, how he behaves, how he's eating, etc.

Jul 3, 2010, 05:08 AM
    There are actually things that can show up in blood work, and be wrong, even when the cat is acting great. Something being "wrong" doesn't mean the cat is going to act all sick. However, since it seems lab work is all they did, I'm not sure how something would show up that would make them decide he needs some expensive surgery - blood work only points a direction. Most of the time you'd need other stuff, like xrays, ultrasounds, etc. to lead you to something like surgery. (For instance, blood work can show problems with kidneys but it won't show that some mass is there that might be removed with surgery.)

So how they came to that conclusion I'm not sure. I would still keep a close eye on him, how he behaves, how he's eating, etc.
    Exactly my thoughts I was told a whole lot of lists of things he needed doing or wrong with him I spoke to my sister-law she used to work in a vetenary I've told her all what the vet told me and she said not to take the cat to that vet, she told me IF the cat needed an operation for his Thyroid a vet place would keep him for a day or two and not two weeks as I was told and certainly do not cost £2000.00. Anyway so far coco is his normal self as usual playing, running about go for his walk in the morning eating well and drink his water all he has just a little stiff with his back legs but I am keeping a very close eyes on him. I've bought him Glucosamine Chondroitin human ones as suggested by the new vet but of course I am giving him 125gm dosage for a c:)at his size and lengths I shall give him the medicines religiously every day good job he seems to like the taste and took two tea spoonfuls I've crushed the tablets and mix it with luke warm water and give it to him as liquid hopefully he should be less stiff with his back legs.
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2010, 01:26 AM

You didn't mention anything about the thyroid. That's not in a typical set of blood tests, but usually something extra that's added on, at extra cost. (Though it's not a bad idea.) You didn't mention any symptoms typical of it, thought weakness can sometimes be a symptom. But if he's got hyperthyroid, there's medications for that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat stiff legs [ 3 Answers ]

Tonight when I got home my cat was fine I fed her some turkey and she got by me in a chair and went to sleep then on my desk when I picked her up her claws were out and the bottom of her feet were kind of stiff she couldn't walk on the carpet because her claws kept cathing I took her into the...

Cat walking around in circles some triping on his back legs [ 2 Answers ]

My cat he is a persain purebreed and he is 18 or 19 years old. I think that he is going blind. Over the past few days I have acsedentaly steped on his tail or foot about 4 or 5 times. The other night my computer was out on the floor and he got tangled in it and he keeped walking forward the he...

My finger is stiff and going numb (from a cat bite). What should I do? [ 2 Answers ]

I was bit by a cat earlier today and it went in really deep (the depth of the whole length of her front fangs). It was on my middle finger. I wouldn't be too concerned except I'm having trouble straightening it. I disinfected it with soap and water and soaked it in water for 5 minutes or so and...

Cat has sudden poralysis in back legs [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a cat that was walking/running around and the next thing I knew, he had absolutely no use of his back legs. I took him to the vet where he currently is, and they ran X-rays and blood work. His blood work came back normal, and he has a pulse in both of his back legs and feet,...

Nursing cat with sudden very stiff legs [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I'm very worried about my cat. She is a two year old and she had a litter of kittens one month ago. Everything has been fine. Last night she threw up. It smelled up the whole house but I couldn't find it. It still smells three hours later. This morning she is stiff legged. She's not...

View more questions Search