Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fpd0859 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 10:09 AM
    New Rheem Classic 90+ high pitch noise from blower
    Just had a new Rheem Classic 90 plus furnace installed.. I noticed that the blower seems to make a high pitch noise that emulates through the ducts.Not as bad in the bedrooms upstairs.I pointed the noise out to my contractor and he seems to think its coming from something the ducts.. I read on another website that someone had the same problem and some wrote this is normal with the high efficiency models to push air.. Any ideas to minimize the noise?Is this normal.. I can live with it but it's a little annoying.. Thx
    dale3 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 11:04 AM

The blower should not make a high pitched noise. Do you have all of the registers open completely and nothing blocking them or the returns? How about the air filter? If all of this is o.k. then it sounds like the ductwork may be undersized for the size of the furnace that was installed. Are you sure it is coming from the blower? Turn the fan only on and see if it still exist. It could be the draft inducer motor.
    fpd0859 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 05:05 AM

Thanks for the reply Dale3.. Yes it makes the same noise with just fan sw on.Its definitely coming from the blower.The noise kicks down when the blower kicks down to low stage.. Checked all registers and they look OK.. Im going to try a different filter to see if that makes a difference.thx again
    NYMAIL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2010, 05:49 AM
    I'm having exactly the same problem. The contractor and I have ruled out ductwork (both supply and return) and have changed the entire blower assembly -- same high-pitched whine. Seems to be the motor itself. Search around the internet and you'll see that this is a common complaint for Rheem blowers since about 2003. One guy claims to have solved the prblem by replacing the blower motor with one from Graingers...

I don't have a solution for mine yet but am gradually getting used to the noise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rheem Classic 90 Plus Blower start issue [ 11 Answers ]

The blower started acting up for few weeks. There was a several consistent short rumblings of the blower, something like half second on and half second off after ignition. Once the rumbling is over, the blower fan just works fine. I can also hear the relay inside the control box clicks when it...

High Pitch Noise From My GE Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My GE dryer makes a high pitch noise while drying. What can I do to stop the noise?

High pitch noise from pipes [ 4 Answers ]

When I turn on the hot water I have a high pitch noise coming through the pipes. Is this a pressure build up. I just replaced a washer in the basement. Thanks

High pitch noise from tub faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Lately my wife and I have noticed that when you tun of the faucet to our tub a high pitch noise seems to be coming from knob. If you only turn on the water a little bit this is when you hear the noise. Once its opened about 3/4 of the way the noise stops. Any ideas on what causes this?

Shower making high pitch whistling noise [ 4 Answers ]

My shower makes a high pitched whistling noise. This doesn't happen all of the time, and seems to be more pronounced when changing the temperature from hot to cold. It may come and go, or may make the noise during the duration of the shower. Any thoughts on what could cause this? Any help would...

View more questions Search