Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikki0846 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jun 22, 2010, 12:34 PM
    My 6 week old puppy has diarrhea
    She just started a yesterday, It is very thick and sometimes has small traces of blood
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 22, 2010, 12:42 PM

Take him to the vet. There are many things that could be wrong, parvo, worms, and other illnesses. We can't diagnose him online, please have him checked out by a vet.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 22, 2010, 01:21 PM

Adam anyone who sells a pup under 8 weeks is usually a back yard breeder or some form of a puppy mill. 6 weeks is WAY too young to leave the pack. They learn the really important socialization skills with in the first 8 weeks. I am assuming that this dog has yet to be vaccinated or de wormed and de flead which my inclining for these symptoms would be parvo or parasites, be it worms, giardia or coccidia. The last two are very easily treated and preventable with the proper care. Parvo is easily preventable with the vaccine and can be treated. All can and normally will lead to death in puppies if not properly treated.
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2010, 01:29 PM

So sad, I hate those people.
    theresa101 Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Jun 22, 2010, 06:44 PM

I totally agree, get your pup to the vet as soon as possible. Puppies that age have little to no reserve to fight off illness, his best bet is professional medical treatment.
    nikki0846 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jun 25, 2010, 02:24 PM

Good news, well sort of, I took her to the vet. The diarreha was due to the change in her diet, however she does have a heart murmur that may or may not go away as she gets older
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 25, 2010, 06:08 PM

I'm glad you took the puppy to the vet. The heart murmur is a concern, but now that you know, your vet can set up a plan to keep it in check.

Sadly, health defects are common with puppies improperly bred by either a backyard breeder or puppymill. Breeders do genetic testing on their dogs in order to produce the most healthy puppies they can. I know for a fact that your puppy did not come from a breeder because of the age the puppy was released.

This is why so many of us fight to stop backyard breeding and puppymills, dogs sold in pet stores. The health of these puppies is often poor, and can cause a lifetime of problems.

Now you know, and hopefully, next time you adopt a dog, you'll be prepared to weed out the backyard breeders and puppymills and get a dog from a breeder that knows what he/she is doing.

Good luck.
    mrshodges Posts: 208, Reputation: 34

Jun 26, 2010, 12:26 PM

Please don't let your puppy outside until after at least the 3rd puppy booster!! Parvo can live in the dirt and be air born.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 12 week old puppy has really bad diarrhea. [ 2 Answers ]

He's had it for 2 days now but is still eating and drinking and been a normal puppy. Its really runny and green and smells really bad. Should I be worried?

My puppy has diarrhea still, what can I do? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old begal. The past 2 months he has been in and out of the vet. I got him from a puppy store and later found out that he was from a puppy mill. Unfortinetly the store will not help with any of the vet bills because I have been told that he doesn't have a disease, it is just a...

Puppy diarrhea [ 2 Answers ]

We just got our small 8 week old puppy two days ago. Pet Rescue said he had his shots and was de-wormed and healthy. However, he has foul diarrhea that is runny and gross--like a real newborn. Is something wrong? Puppy chow the reason?

Puppy with bloody diarrhea [ 4 Answers ]

A week ago today, I adopted a 10-11 week old beagle/ jack russell terrier mix. She had diarrhea and was vomiting due to her food change, and after a few days of getting used to the food and taking her to the vet to test her for parvo, she was fine. Today, she had diarrhea again and when I got home...

Puppy diarrhea [ 2 Answers ]

I have a plott hound feist that is days away from being four months old. She has been having chronic diarrhea. She has no loss of appetite and is still her wild self. I have never had dogs before and am concerned. We also adopted a 6 mo black lab from the same rescue and she is fine.

View more questions Search