Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Apr 3, 2007, 09:00 PM
    Honesty on job appl with felony conviction
    I live in Ohio. Was convicted last year of 2 felony counts of welfare fraud (failure to report changes). Though I have a degree I couldn't get a job at Wal-Mart if honest about my conviction. Which I was on 90% of applications and about starved. Finally ignored question on a couple of applications and was hired. Thinking getting a few weeks of income then potentially fired was better than starving. See... fraud is considered both lying and stealing. Now my degree is in social services... most jobs are state related so I don't even apply. Kind of like with banks. It's a no brainer that they are NOT going to look at someone with this type of felony. And on paper, don't blame them. So... Is it truly better to be honest about felony when most of the time I can't even get an interview if I am?:confused:
    burn56 Posts: 41, Reputation: 11

Apr 3, 2007, 09:08 PM
    Lying about it is grounds for immediate termination.
    In the state of California stating you have a felony does not exactly mean your instantly not hired, it just means the manager has to go through human resources before even CONSIDERING hiring you. Which means most managers will not even bother.
    You have to show determination, you must be honest up front about it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2007, 10:15 PM
    Concerning applications: It is better to be honest and upfront. It demonstrates your honesty and integrity. How about submitting a neat and well-worded letter in addition to and with the application that explains your situation? I.e. what you were convicted of, time spent in incarceration (if any), counseling you may have gotten, how you feel and what you think about the crime you committed. I have never seen it stated on an application where you could not submit an additional letter. But, I have seen it on an application where you are actually encouraged to submit additional documentation.

Instead of filling out applications, how about submitting your cover letter and resume without filling out the application first? Many places will allow you to do this. That is how I do it most of the time. Especially for those jobs that are most desirable. And, I'm not speaking about places such as Kmart, Wal-Mart, Dollar General, etc. Not that working at those places are out of the question, or bad at all. It's just that they don't fit the reason why you or I went to college in the first place. You may eventually have to fill out an application just because that is how a lot of places might process things. However, at least they got to see what you have to say about why you are the best candidate for the position that they are offering.

When you do get an interview, and I do mean when, you need to be honest and upfront. However, not at the beginning of the interview. After your GREAT interview, you mention it at the end, starting with something like: "There's something that I want to be honest and upfront with you about..."

Be ever diligent and determined in your job search. I know that searching for a job can be a full-time job in itself.

Maybe you have some other skills that you could use or develop to be self-employed?

Social services goes right along with having jobs that concern people, such as at nursing homes and retirement places.

I know you live in Ohio. And, I know how frustrated you are. I know what it feels like to be in your shoes. Please read on, as there may be a similar program in Ohio, like the one that is described below.

Where I live, in Illinois, I know for a fact that three years after the conviction date for certain felonies, you can apply to the Department of Public Health and obtain a waiver which will allow you to work in a healthcare facility.

Why this came about is because it became law some recent years ago that you could not hire people to work in nursing/retirement facilities who were convicted of felonies. So nursing homes/retirement employers were having to let people go. However, some of those employees were really, really good at their jobs. So, they were saying "Hey, we're losing some really good people. Let's do something about it!"

So, the state came up with the "Section 270.2250 Health Care Worker Background Check." In it are provisions to apply and be granted a waiver. It is available at the following site as well as others: Section 270

Here is an excerpt from that site:

o) The Department may grant a waiver based on mitigating circumstances, which may include:

1) The age of the individual at which the crime was committed;

2) The circumstances surrounding the crime;

3) The length of time since the conviction;

4) The applicant's or employee's criminal history since the conviction;

5) The applicant's or employee's work history;

6) The applicant's or employee's current employment references;

7) The applicant's or employee's character references;

8) Nurse Aide Registry records; and

9) Other evidence demonstrating the ability of the applicant or employee to perform the employment responsibilities competently and evidence that the applicant or employee does not pose a threat to the health or safety of residents. (Section 40(b) of the Health Care Worker Background Check Act)

I hope that the foregoing has been helpful to you!
    therealsteveo Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Apr 12, 2007, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badchoice
    I live in Ohio. Was convicted last year of 2 felony counts of welfare fraud (failure to report changes). Though I have a degree I couldn't get a job at Wal-Mart if honest about my conviction. Which I was on 90% of applications and about starved. Finally ignored question on a couple of applications and was hired. Thinking getting a few weeks of income then potentially fired was better than starving. See...........fraud is considered both lying and stealing. Now my degree is in social services...........most jobs are state related so I don't even apply. Kind of like with banks. It's a no brainer that they are NOT going to look at someone with this type of felony. And on paper, don't blame them. So.............................Is it truly better to be honest about felony when most of the time I can't even get an interview if I am?:confused:
    Not stating that you're a felon, in some states, can have criminal action brought to you. At least where I live
    Jack85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2009, 06:51 PM
    When I was 19 I was charged with distribution of a dangerous controlled substance and put on a 5 year deferred. I don't think anyone but a person with a record knows or understands how nearly impossible to get a job that's something else besides flipping hamburgers for Burger King.
    It's easy for someone who doesn't understand this to say "just be honest on your application". I have handed out and followed through on more than 50 applications (Honestly filling them out) to a wide variety of jobs in the past 3 months and I have had the privilege of attending only one interview. That was simply because I had put my resume in but when they asked me to fill out an application and realized that I was a criminal they wanted nothing of me. Let me add that over half of these places had "now hiring" signs posted.
    I have a full time fast food job now but it's not enough for gas, food, rent, and other bills. I have always been an honest person, I hate and despise lying. However, finding a decent job is next to impossible if I put that on an application. I'm at the point of just saying, "What the hell, i'd rather have a decent paying job for atleast 3 months then have the company find out that I lied on the application and fire me than be in this financial black hole".
    I was into drugs for a little over one year, I distributed drugs only once. That was a friend who told on me. I was "honest" and cooperated with the police. To an employer, I may as well killed or rapped someone. They DO NOT want to talk to me.
    Despite speaking from experience, I am only ONE individual, in only ONE part of the country. People do get lucky and land good jobs with records my point is not that it's impossible. But rather for other people on here to understand what financial burden people with criminal records are in.
    My perspective, for the two cents it's worth, best advice is to give resources for anyone despritally looking for a job. People have to make ends meet any way possible. Whether to lie or not to lie is situational depending on whether they can financially weather through an expungement period, what kind of financial stress they are in, if they have a family needing to be fed, who (if anyone) will help you pay bills until they find a job and so on. This problem is anylized upon personal situation and many people (especially bloggers) do not know the exact situation, current needs, exact problems, or the unique history the person has.
    fredcharlotte Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 10:16 AM
    I was arrested when I was 23 for trafficking methamphetamines in North Carolina. That's the only charge I've ever had in my entire life. I've got a long, long list of all the good things I did in my teens (like graduating and being an Eagle Scout) and all the things I've done since prison (like graduating from college and working faithfully and diligently at my craptastic part-time (15 hours or less) minimum wage job. I'm now 32 years old, and the more and more I try to 'progress' into adulthood the more I find that there are roadblocks at every ing corner. It's not even just the companies that don't want to talk to me, but it's even state and federal statutes that bar me, and I'm not talking about from being a doctor or lawyer! I can't even get my commercial driver's license to drive trucks, not because I had a felony, but because I had a DRUG felony. Yes, it's true. I could be a multi-convicted child molester and drive trucks, but not a single drug charge. I can't even get food stamps; not because I have a felony, but because I have a DRUG felony. What in the is wrong with this system? I was convicted of a nonviolent, victimless crime a decade ago and my life is practically over. I saw on my county's job website that I could even apply to be a 911 operator with a felony, but not a DRUG felony. I could join the Army now with a felony, but not a DRUG felony. Hell, I can't even join the French Foreign Legion (who are known for half their members being on-the-run killers) with a DRUG conviction from the United States. I know people who were released from prison for the FIFTH+ time for things like assault with intent to kill, aggravated burglary, child molestation, and murder, who are out on federal and state assistance working great jobs for places making 30k-60k a year, yet I'm blocked at every turn of the corner because I had one drug charge practically a decade ago. Some great ing system that is, and then, on top of that, people have the audacity to say 'Hmpf, you'll probably just go back to the same old thing and be back in prison.' Well, NO . The landlord, the grocery store, nor anyone else cares that it's impossible for me to find gainful employment, so what in the else should people do? Society tells you that you better not do that again, but also that you better not do anything else either! I'll be glad when this entire ing ecnomic and social way of life fall to ruin and everyone is back in poverty and slavery, right here with me.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2010, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcharlotte View Post
    I was arrested when I was 23 for trafficking methamphetamines in North Carolina. That's the only charge I've ever had in my entire life. I've got a long, long list of all the good things I did in my teens (like graduating and being an Eagle Scout) and all the things I've done since prison (like graduating from college and working faithfully and diligently at my craptastic part-time (15 hours or less) minimum wage job. I'm now 32 years old, and the more and more I try to 'progress' into adulthood the more I find that there are roadblocks at every ing corner. It's not even just the companies that don't want to talk to me, but it's even state and federal statutes that bar me, and I'm not talking about from being a doctor or lawyer! I can't even get my commercial driver's license to drive trucks, not because I had a felony, but because I had a DRUG felony. Yes, it's true. I could be a multi-convicted child molester and drive trucks, but not a single drug charge. I can't even get food stamps; not because I have a felony, but because I have a DRUG felony. What in the is wrong with this system? I was convicted of a nonviolent, victimless crime a decade ago and my life is practically over. I saw on my county's job website that I could even apply to be a 911 operator with a felony, but not a DRUG felony. I could join the Army now with a felony, but not a DRUG felony. Hell, I can't even join the French Foreign Legion (who are known for half their members being on-the-run killers) with a DRUG conviction from the United States. I know people who were released from prison for the FIFTH+ time for things like assault with intent to kill, aggravated burglary, child molestation, and murder, who are out on federal and state assistance working great jobs for places making 30k-60k a year, yet I'm blocked at every turn of the corner because I had one drug charge practically a decade ago. Some great ing system that is, and then, on top of that, people have the audacity to say 'Hmpf, you'll probably just go back to the same old thing and be back in prison.' Well, NO . The landlord, the grocery store, nor anyone else cares that it's impossible for me to find gainful employment, so what in the else should people do? Society tells you that you better not do that again, but also that you better not do anything else either! I'll be glad when this entire ing ecnomic and social way of life fall to ruin and everyone is back in poverty and slavery, right here with me.
    Fred - If you're such a goody two shoes why haven't you looked into getting a pardon or an expungement of your felony? If you haven't had as much as a parking ticket in the last 10 years you should be able to get this. THEN you won't have to bellyache any longer and can join the "good life" that you seek. Good luck.
    fredcharlotte Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2010, 11:30 AM

Well, apparently you don't know as much as you think you do, because in the wonderful state of North Carolina they don't expunge ANY felonies unless you're a juvenile. Hell, in this state (and you can check, I'm not making this up) it costs time and lawyer money to even get CHARGES expunged off your record. That's right, if you're charged with something and taken to court and proven innocent, it's a task to even get the charge taken off. And as for pardons, they've given out exactly TWO in the last one hundred years, so I guess you could say I haven't been holding my breath for that to happen either.
    rainacidbeer Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

Jun 22, 2010, 03:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcharlotte View Post
    You should be given a 2nd chance,one mistake shouldn't ruin you for life . I have a pretty liberal view on drugs but meth is far from a harmless drug. They shouldn't not give you a cdl or certain licenses. Maybe a waiting period if you stay out of trouble. It ridiculous murders and rapist can but you can't. A conviction for meth selling is going to look worse then burglary,assault,etc. Maybe learn a trade,would moving out of your state help? I seen some post where a trucking place would hire someone if the felony is over 10 years old. Could you get a cdl or certain kind of certificate in a different state.

I have friend who has a few felonies,some that don't sound to nice. He had about 2-3 jobs ,they only pay around 9 or so. Some of then been ft,he lied on many of his applications. Like the op that could be an option until you find something better,I'm for honesty but people have to eat. He honestly been staying out trouble,just minding his own business.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2010, 08:54 AM

Hello F:

I didn't read the whole thing. Yeah, it ain't fair... So? You got to go to work. Screw the fairness of it.

If it were me (and it WAS me), I'd look for work at places where I could TALK to the owner right off, on the first day. Those are generally mom and pop type of places. But, instead of asking him to give you a break, you should be telling him how he's going to go broke if he DOESN'T hire you. Places like that are NOT social agencies. They care about PROFIT.

excon
    keepplugging Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by fredcharlotte

I live in Western NY and I understand what you and so many of us are going through. To give you a brief history of mine... 2003 plead guilty to a possession of marijuana felony in Ohio (I lived and always have lived in NY). Decided that life wasn't for me and began to work in the banking/mortgage/finance business. Did extremely well as my father has been with a bank for 40+ years and I got business not because of him, but because I, like you, am honest and people feel comfortable doing business with individuals like us. Integrity, honesty, values, loyalty are things I have always tried to incorporate in daily life. Sure I made mistakes in the past. (but if you remember-clinton didn't inhale)-j/k.
    so back to what happened next. I was doing very well making a great living financially and its nice when your parents can have dinner with you and you can sense their satisfaction on how you turned things around. I turned them around only to be arrested in 2005 by the federal government for crimes committed (marijuana) in 2002-2003 & included the other possession arrest. At this point I didn't know what was going to happen if I would end up in jail, etc. I got probation again as they looked as it as 1st time offense because the crimes were prior to the Ohio arrest and no crimes were committed after. I got fired from the company I was working at when they did an annual background check on employees that made over 80k. I continued to work in the finance/mortgage business for a local company and then the market fell apart and was let go at the end of 2008. Summer of 2009 worked construction making 42-49/hour. Was laid off at the beginning of winter and ultimately turned down for unemployment. So I don't bore you anymore, basically I don't have 2 nickles to rub together, there is not a chance of sealing or expungement and basically it happened exactly as I explained it all for pot- (7 lbs.) -which I am sure you know is legal in some states up to about 20lbs/100plants. Again I know how you feel, as I am a non-violent, victimless drug offender, and I guess you can say I really had it stuck to me especially with respect for going back to the prior time after I had plead (and was already serving the probation for the conviction of that) guilty to basically the same crimes I had to re plead guilty to a second time even though they treated it as a first offense. I am out of options as I know and have been saying for a few years now that there is a great many percentage of individuals who are non-violent, victimless drug offenders, most non-repeat; (I think you can even say that in my case even though I have 2 felonies for marijuana), that they cannot re-enter the workforce without re-inventing the wheel and then some. My degree is in economics/finance. Where am I going with that degree, 2 felonies, and the most awful credit now after failed attempts at rental properties when I had great credit, because of my loss of work, and then a bad string of tenants. It was great to make your parents proud, and nothing hurts more than for me to see the way they share my feelings daily.
    p.s - I went with the name "keepplugging" because that is what everybody keeps telling me, but after quite some time, what is there to "keepplugging" at? Any help out there please reply. And to all who are in the situation we are in, stay strong, and positive (I know its hard, and I haven't been lately), but it only takes one of us to speak with the right legislature and dilligently explain the hardships, closed doors, and ultimate inability to offer ourselves in the working community as 95% of us are willing and capable of doing a many number of jobs and skills, and not to mention are good at them due to the intellectual business minds that most of us who are unable to attain employment have.
    SearchingForWho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2010, 02:39 AM
    Three REAL options: 1.) Lie, 2.) Go back to crime, 3.) Leave the United States. Myth: A college degree matters. This is coming from someone that knows your pain. Advice: Make plans to leave the United States ASAP.
    sjone092 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 11:29 AM
    Not all states allow expungements. I'm in Virginia and NO felony that an individual can be expunged period; not for any reason!
    Jenniferjones Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 03:29 PM
    I totally understand! I too am a convicted felon. When I was arrested in 2001 the crime "Identity Theft" did not exist yet so I was charged with 13 felony counts in that one arrest because of some old mail, checks, and stolen credit cards (that were never used) were wadded up in my tweaker purse.
    I plead guilty because I was still comatose from the withdrawal of metamphetamines and just wanted to go back to my bunk and sleep.
    I had no idea that 11 years later I would be alive, let alone earning a Bachelor's Degree in Human Services; which I found out recently I would have to be licensed to obtain employment in the State of California!!
    Orange County; my place of conviction and the county I still reside in, has recently formulated a program called "New Leaf" but only applies to those wishing to annull one felony, so I do not apply.
    It would cost me $50,000.00 to retain an attorney to re-open my case, and that is just to re-open it.
    So, yes. I feel you!
    Jennifer Jones
    Jenniferjones Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SearchingForWho View Post
    Three REAL options: 1.) Lie, 2.) Go back to crime, 3.) Leave the United States. Myth: A college degree matters. This is coming from someone that knows your pain. Advice: Make plans to leave the United States ASAP.
    And go where? Canada won't take me... any suggestions?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2012, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferjones View Post
    so I do not apply.
    Hello J:

I'd apply.. You may have been CHARGED with 13 felonies, but I'd be willing to bet that you only plead guilty to one.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my wife still own a gun with my felony conviction [ 7 Answers ]

I will be sentenced soon to a felony wire fraud conviction. I own several firearms and had a concelaed weapons permit. Obvoiusly all that is now gone forever, but can my wife still own a gun and keep in same household? I have read conflicitng ideas on this and am trying to get the real details.

Felony conviction hurting professional career [ 5 Answers ]

I have a felony drug conviction on my record from 8 years ago, for which I did 3 years in state prison. Since getting out, Ive completed 3 years of college and have a 3.9 gpa. I interned at a major insurance company (will remain nameless), after my internship they offered me a full time position. ...

How to tell a job about felony probation [ 1 Answers ]

I was hired for a job about 5 months ago. About 2 months ago I was arrested for somethng that an attorney could get me out of but I had to take a public defender.. How do I tell my employee? :o :( :confused:

Honesty who doesn't love AC DC [ 2 Answers ]

Can u ancer that. Somepeople hate AC DC and I really can't see why.

Reclaiming social acceptance after a felony domestic violence conviction [ 11 Answers ]

In 1998 I was convicted of "felony menacing with a deadly weapon" after losing my composure for a split second, during a very ugly separation in the state of Colorado. No one was injured, or touched in anyway during the commission of my crime. I served my time, completed counseling, psychotherapy,...

View more questions Search