Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angel0772001 Posts: 233, Reputation: 7

Jun 21, 2010, 12:00 PM
    How to make my fondant smooth
    I make my own fondant but it seems to crack how can I make it have that smooth glossy look? This is the website for the recipe

http://www.cakescanada.com/HowTo/Fondant.pdf
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Jun 21, 2010, 09:16 PM

A couple of things are you making the fondant too dry to start with? Are you frosting the cake before you put the fondant on? These two things are really important! If it's too dry the fondant won't stretch and it will crack instead. And the frosting helps smooth the cake before you put the fondant on. You can't hurry fondant either, take your time and practice. They use a streamer and steam the fondant to help make it shine, after it is on the cake. Good Luck !

Jun 22, 2010, 12:28 PM

Awsome that helps a lot. But yes I do use butter cream on my cakes before I put the fondant on. This was only my second cake I was just curious if I was doing something wrong. Thank you so much :)
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Jun 22, 2010, 09:18 PM

Also when you are working with the fondant apply shortening to your hands and surface you are kneading on.

Jun 24, 2010, 07:15 AM

Now that's something I didn't know. Im sure that would help a lot when it comes to making it smoother on the cake. Thank you so much

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smooth concrete [ 4 Answers ]

The unfinished part of our basement is concrete and mostly smooth, but I would like to make it "brush-able" throughout A lot of it (~20 sqft or so) is just rough enough to hinder a fine broom, and I think a concrete paint or sealer might take care of it. Suggestions? Another spot (~2 sqft) is...

Smooth Away [ 4 Answers ]

Has anyone tried the smooth away buffer thing? If so, how did it work? What's the equivalent? Is it as good as shaving? Feels like you've waxed?

Smooth grout on smooth tile [ 5 Answers ]

We just grouted our bathroom wall tiles (smoooth white subway style pattern) with smooth white pre mixed grout. It isn't going in well and is now cracking and hardneing with bums and edges :( Do we have to do another coat or will that be too thick... it is showing some thinset and the edges of the...

Smooth legs [ 3 Answers ]

I have been waxing yet my legs are still not smooth and look like I have been shaving with loads of spots like marks:mad: , how can I make them smooth? With no dark marks?:confused:

I need smooth legs! [ 1 Answers ]

How do I look after my skin correctly? I want my legs to be smooth like a river, how do I do that?

View more questions Search