Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sallyenochs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Filing a motion of discovery without an attorney
    My son was arrest on 3rd degree assault of a minor. He was taking into custody. This was not at all what it appeared to be. The child said he held him down and the officers who came to the home said once an assault charge was filed someone had to be arrested.
    We are trying to get a copy of the police report but they will not let us have one without an attorney requesting it. He does not have the money for an attorney and will pled not guilty to the charges. Is there a form we can get that helps us file the motion of discovery with the office to get copies of the report?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Have you gone to the police department and requested a copy of the police report there? Usually they charge a small fee for this. You don't have to have an attorney for this unless they give you the reason about "the child is a minor" stuff. Then they will probably give you a hard time.

Does your son have a public defender at this point? Has he been arraigned? If he has not been arraigned yet, he will be appointed a public defender at that point (if you cannot afford an attorney for your son). The PD can request a copy of the police report so that your son and the PD can go over it when they discuss his case.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sallyenochs
    My son was arrest on 3rd degree assault of a minor. He was taking into custody. This was not at all what it appeared to be. The child said he held him down and the officers who came to the the home said once an assault charge was filed someone had to be arrested.
    We are trying to get a copy of the police report but they will not let us have one without an attorney requesting it. He does not have the money for an attorney and will pled not guilty to the charges. Is there a form we can get that helps us file the motion of discovery with the office to get copies of the report?

What State are you in? Where I am - NYS - people accuse each other of assault and file the charge and this is not the result.

You cannot be denied legal representation - go to legal aid/ask for a public defender.

(Is your son an adult and the other party is a minor? That could make a difference concerning the charges.)
    hyestyle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2010, 05:16 AM
    Once you are arrested , the department won't give the report to you. If you really think u are innocent either get a lawyer or wait for the arraignment plead not guilty and motion for discovery it is requesting all the information or the evidence the DA will charge. However, you must have a good reason for them to release the information to you. I would highly recommend you to get a lawyer because public defenders will try to give u deals like probation or whatever.
    hyestyle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2010, 05:16 AM
    Once you are arrested , the department won't give the report to you. If you really think u are innocent either get a lawyer or wait for the arraignment plead not guilty and motion for discovery it is requesting all the information or the evidence the DA will charge. However, you must have a good reason for them to release the information to you. I would highly recommend you to get a lawyer because public defenders will try to give u deals like probation or whatever.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2010, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hyestyle View Post
    However, you must have a good reason for them to release the information to you. I would highly recommend you to get a lawyer because public defenders will try to give u deals like probation or whatever.
    Hello h:

One good reason is the person is the defendant. Actually, you're even wronger than that. A police report is PUBLIC information and ANYBODY can get a copy of it.

You're also wrong about public defenders. They're lawyers, and pretty good ones too.

excon

PS> I've never been sentenced to "whatever". Do you get good time on that?
    PPS> Leave the LAW board to the experts. You could get somebody in MORE trouble than they're already in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

File motion to discovery. [ 5 Answers ]

I read all these posts about filing to intent to defend the summons. Then file motion to discovery... Where do I file the discovery? Is there a form I turn in to the court... or something else? :confused: :confused:

How can I read the motion of discovery? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying 2 find info on my brothers case

Discovery with no attorney? [ 8 Answers ]

Hate to be a pain, but I just found something re: small claims in Florida that states that the opponent is able to gather information about the case if I am represented by an attorney. I, however, am not represented by an attorney. If you're interested or have the time, I obtained this...

How to write a motion for discovery [ 1 Answers ]

Would like to know how to write a motion for discovery. Husband is appearing pro se in Family Court and he would like to know why his ex-wife is no longer teaching.

How to file motion for discovery [ 1 Answers ]

How does one file a motion for discovery in Michigan? I understand it is sent to the lawyer for the side who is suing me. Do I send a copy to the court? Is there a particular format that needs to be used? Do I need to send it registered or certified or return receipt requested? TIA, Lil

View more questions Search