Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    objectundefined Posts: 45, Reputation: 2
    Site Dev

Jun 15, 2010, 12:11 PM
    Are dogs really allergic to grapes?
    Is this an old wives tale or something I should actually worry about?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 12:14 PM

I've never tested it, but it's not that they are allergic to them, it's the skin they can't digest and can actually become entangled in their bowels. I know my vet advises against it.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jun 15, 2010, 12:57 PM

It's that grapes can be toxic to dogs.

This article explains it better than most I have read: Danger for Dogs - Grapes, Raisins: Dog Foods That are Toxic to Your Pets.

It's one of those things that it is safer to keep away from the animal than to be sorry later.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2010, 07:20 PM

Yep, best not to chance it.

If your dog has eaten a grape though I wouldn't panic. Some dogs are fine with them, others have problems.
    It's the same with chocolate, some dogs can tolerate chocolate and be perfectly fine, others get very sick.

Just watch out for signs such as vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, excessive drooling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Allergic reactions in dogs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Australian Shepherd he is 13 years old - last year he had an allergic reaction to something? This year it happened again - his back is covered in little red bumps and he chews at them. It is either a seasonal allergy or an allergic reaction to Frontline Plus. Vet gave him benedryl...

Seedless grapes [ 4 Answers ]

How do you grow seedless grapes?

What to do with grapes [ 2 Answers ]

I have grape arbors with vines producing grapes. Some are sweet. There seems to be different colors/types/kinds of grapes. What can I do with these grapes? I'd hate to see them wasted or rot on the vine. Not familiar with wine making. Not sure if I have enough grapes for making wine. Any help...

Grapes of Wrath [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out the name of a song that is sung by the Grapes of Wrath. I saw the video for it quite awhile ago, couple years, and I really liked it. It has the guys sitting in a tree for most of the video and it's a slow song, ballad type. Anybody have any idea the name of the song,...

Grapes of Wrath [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out the name of a song that is sung by the Grapes of Wrath. I saw the video for it quite awhile ago, couple years, and I really liked it. It has the guys sitting in a tree for most of the video and it's a slow song, ballad type. Anybody have any idea the name of the song,...

View more questions Search