Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sthomas5531 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 15, 2010, 07:57 PM
    My black hair won't take color.
    Hi, I have jet black hair. I'm afraid to put in permanent hair color, mostly of it ruining my hair and I don't want to worry about keeping up with new growth. However, my hair is just too blah and I want to add a tint of red to it. I tried both semi permanent, and today I tried a demi permanent level 5 color. But my hair did not pick up the color at all. I know of other that have black hair but was able to color with a demi. Am I doing something wrong here? Any suggestions?
    sthomas5531 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 17, 2010, 08:54 AM
    Black hair won't take color!
    Hi, I have jet black hair. I'm afraid to put in permanent hair color, mostly of it ruining my hair and I don't want to worry about keeping up with new growth. However, my hair is just too blah and I want to add a tint of red to it. I tried both semi permanent, and today I tried a demi permanent level 5 color. But my hair did not pick up the color at all. I know of other that have black hair but was able to color with a demi. Am I doing something wrong here? Any suggestions?
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2010, 11:18 AM

Few colors show up on black hair as more than a shade different. Red, I've seen, can be quite impressive. To make it stick the best you usually have to bleach it before dyeing. That would be a permanent change.

One person I knew would only dye a strand of her bangs to add spunk to her hair. She had a new color every week, and it looked pretty good.
    divaprincess28 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jun 14, 2010, 12:21 AM

I don't know much about cosmetology I should ask my sister before answering, she is a hair dresser. However when I died my hair (also jet black), I actually had to lift my color first and then dye it. However I will say that lifting your color can completely damage your hair especially if you don't deep condition often, and you have to wait before you can put the color on top of it unless you are immediately dying it with a temporary color. I hope this was helpful

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Well to start my natural hair color is dark brown.. but I dyed my hair black 6 mon [ 1 Answers ]

Well to start my natural hair color is dark brown.. but I dyed my hair black 6 months ago.. before that I had always dyed my hair light colors and had highlighted it couple times... I went to the salon yesterday and highlighted my hair.. hoping to change my hair color from really dark back to...

If you want to color your hair black! [ 10 Answers ]

There are a lot of people who post about coloring your hair black and not wanting it any more... please think about it long and hard if you wan black hair and make sure your going to keep it for a long time... because stripping is really the only immediate option, it's a long process thought it...

Can I color black hair to brown? [ 1 Answers ]

Well, my hair are black as I am indian, but the roots about 2" are white and to cover them I started using this black hair colour. But it looks too dark now and now I want to do light maybe brown. That is why I needed expert opinion how to remove this black color and can I color hair to brown?

What should I do with my black hair . What color should I dye it? [ 8 Answers ]

I have black hair and it looks boring. I don't have many hair color choices. I know I have to dye it a shade of brown. I just need help with the shade of brown I should dye it. Does anyone have any ideas? Also I don't really like highlights that much and I want something that won't make my...

View more questions Search