Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    callate Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2010, 06:10 AM
    My puppy cries in his crate all night
    We have an 8 week old puppy, the first night she stayed in her crate no problem. We have the crate supplied with chew toys, bed, heating pad, clock for ticking sound, etc... since night 2 she cries all night in the crate. We followed the ideas of no food or water before bed, she went out to potty before bed, didn't want to potty until early in the morning, she just won't sleep in the crate at night, although she will during the day.

Help?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 13, 2010, 07:21 AM

Is she sleeping in her crate when she naps during the day? Most puppies just flop whenever they run down. It's really cute but she'll feel a lot better about her crate if she wakes up there almost every time.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 13, 2010, 07:23 AM

He bonded with you in that short time, don't forget he is a baby and wants to be with you. If you want to use a crate at night, until he matures well enough to sleep in his own bed, then you will have to put up with it for a while. Initiate a routine, start now, same thing, same time and he will get use to to it. Is he close to you at night for soothing words, or that he knows you are there ?

Jun 13, 2010, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Is she sleeping in her crate when she naps during the day? Most puppies just flop whenever they run down. It's really cute but she'll feel a lot better about her crate if she wakes up there almost every time.
    Yes, she sleeps there during the day no problem, she crawls in and cuddles up. At night she crawls in seems settled as soon as we close the door, just like day time but she goes nuts! Up to 2 hours non stop... sigh...

Jun 13, 2010, 09:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    He bonded with you in that short time, dont forget he is a baby and wants to be with you. If you want to use a crate at night, until he matures well enough to sleep in his own bed, then you will have to put up with it for a while. Initiate a routine, start now, same thing, same time and he will get use to to it. Is he close to you at night for soothing words, or that he knows you are there ?
    Yes the puppy is close to us at night. She has a heating pad etc in the crate and we are right there... I guess if I know it will get better with consistency then I can relax. Any reassurance is greatly appreciated.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 13, 2010, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by callate View Post
    yes the puppy is close to us at night. she has a heating pad etc in the crate .
    Although you may think she needs warmth, I don't think the heating pad is necessary. She produces her own good heat and her body adjusts to temps quite well. I don't think this the reason, just suggesting... or maybe it is a reason and she is too warm. From what you say she seems to be quite well adjusted other times.

You know callate, puppies like human babies are all different, all different requirements, needs, etc. It is an adjustment between you and he and it takes time to smooth out.

Tick

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy cries all day half night [ 11 Answers ]

Hi my new puppy is 8 weeks old and I cries when it eats plays u hold her wrap her up vet said she looks good would she cry all the time if she's inbred?

Puppy pooping in crate at night [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old Yorkie, Chihuahua mix that we have had for about a month now. The first few weeks went the same as house breaking any new puppy, with him having accidents in the house, but over time started happening less often. But then we went out of town for a week and left him at a Kennel...

My puppy doesn't like her crate at night anymore [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My Fox terrier is nearly 6 months old, we got her when she was 4 months and she slept in her crate every night from about 10pm until 6.30am without a problem, she was really good. Then last week she managed to open the door on 2 nights at about 3am. We fixed it so she couldn't get out but for...

Help... Dog cries every night in the crate... [ 10 Answers ]

My one year old dachshund cries every night at around 1am in his crate for no other reason then to be let out to come sleep in my bed. We try to ignore it and tell him to lay down but this will go on for an hour or so until we finally give in and let him out. Any suggestions?? Thanks

9 week old puppy pooping at night (in crate) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. We have had our little mini-schnauzer for a week now. She is doing very well during the day, but night time is becoming a problem. She has started pooping 3 or 4 times at night... the problem is that she doesn't whine until she's already soiled her crate. Her last meal is at 5:00, and we...

View more questions Search