Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myshop Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2010, 05:50 PM
    How to reverse electric motor rotation
    I have a GE 1/3 HP motor, model # 5HC45HR1S. Facing the end of the shaft, the motor rotates clockwise. I need it to rotate COUNTER clockwise. Can it be done?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2010, 06:39 PM

Usually the reversing instructions are under the connection plate.

See if the wires are labeled like T1, T2 etc. Wires usually black but are imprinted.

Jun 13, 2010, 08:13 AM
    I wish it was that simple. There is no accessible connection plate. There is only an opening on one end of the motor that has a recesed terminal board with just three connection terminals. Identifying markings on the terminal board are "c", "W", "L", "OR", "H" and "BU". There is also an ID area on the motor that diplays the model, HP an other information about the motor, but nowhere do I see anylabels with "T" or any numerics.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2010, 09:04 PM

Here is some info. Not sure it will help though. Lathe - Motor - Wiring

What terminals is power connected to now?
    Is the motor dual voltage or dual speed?
    Capacitor start?

Jun 15, 2010, 12:36 PM
    The terminal board on this GE Motor has three terminals. The top terminal has a "C" on the left side and a "W" below. The next terminal (middle) has a "L" to the left and a "OR" below. The third terminal (bottom) has a "H" to the left and a "BU" below. The motor runs clockwise looking at the end of the shaft. The wiring is WHITE at the top (first) terminal and BLACK at the bottom (third) terminal. The motor will also run with the black connected to the second (middle) terminal and the white still on top. Yes, I have reversed the white and black and the motor still rotates clockwise. Yes , the motor is CAPACITOR start. I even swapped the two capacitor wires--still clockwise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reverse rotation electric motor [ 8 Answers ]

How do I reverse the direction of rotation of a bench grinder. I want to use it for sharpening of wood-working tools and have been told the direction the grinding wheels spin should be counter-clockwise:confused:

How di I reverse an electric motor [ 3 Answers ]

How do I reverse an electric motor

Reverse direction of an electric motor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. can anyone tell me how to reverse the rotation of an electric motor.. 1hp- 240 volt -7 amp -phase 1- class e- pole 2- rpm3000- heat 60c.. hope someone can help.. thanks krujane

How do you reverse an electric motor's rotation? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I reverse an electric motor's rotation? I have a 110V Black & Decker 3450 rpm motor whose clock wise rotation I need to reverse. I'm rebuilding a (1926) 12" table saw, downsizing it to 10 inch and to do this using the present shaft & pulley set up, I need to change the motor's rotation so...

How do I reverse the hampton bay ceiling fan rotation using a remote [ 1 Answers ]

How do I reverse the hampton bay ceiling fan rotation using a remote

View more questions Search