Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ImNLuv_08 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2006, 09:08 AM
    How do I read error codes on a 1990 civic?
    :confused: when I turn the ignition to on (not start) my computer blinks once then pauses and does 16 short blinks? What does this mean? And where is my igniter? I'm getting ready to go to autozone to get my coil and igniter checked... since my cel light doesn't go off... is that why I am having no spark?:confused: txgreasemonkey?? Or procivic?? I would really appreciate your help

Thank you
    Dakota
    ravenette Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Dec 29, 2006, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNLuv_08
    :confused: when i turn the ignition to on (not start) my computer blinks once then pauses and does 16 short blinks? what does this mean? and where is my igniter? im gettin ready to go to autozone to get my coil and igniter checked.....since my cel light dosnt go off...is that why i am having no spark?:confused: txgreasemonkey?????? or procivic?????? i would really appreciate your help

thank you
    dakota
    1990 Civic DX 4-dr [Archive] - Used Car Forums
    Try this and see if it helps. It is a sight for civics "90 and is for a free manual. Didn't look through the entire thing but you may see if you can find errors etc and it may give you advice. Wouldn't hurt to have a little knowledge any how on the car. Good luck.
    ravenette Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Dec 29, 2006, 11:53 AM
    I put an addie on the letter but the system did not write it. Go to Google and look up 1990 civic manual and it should be the first one on the list.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2006, 01:14 PM
    Yes, most Civics will not spark, unless the CEL goes out. First, take a multimeter or test light and check all under-hood and under-dash fuses. Second, run the K-Test and see if your ECM is good or not. You can read about the K-Test and other tests on the link below (read Sections A and B):

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ics-46563.html

Third, check the main relay (I would replace). Fourth, check the ignition switch, if necessary. Before focusing on the igniter and coil, you have to get the CEL to come on for 2 seconds and then go out. I recommend that you ultimately replace the igniter, coil, and main relay on your Civic, because of its age. Check out RockAuto.com for decent prices on these components.

On 1988 to 1991 Civics, the first blink is a "Hello" blink. The pause lets you know a code has been stored and prepares you to start counting. Then, you counted 16 short blinks for a Diagnostic Trouble Code 16, which indicates a problem with the fuel injector circuit. Your ECM will then pause and repeat the process, until you turn the ignition off. Focus on the fuel injector problem, after you fix the CEL problem; i.e. coming on and going off properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 Civic is throwing codes 7 and 19 [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1990 honda civic dx, and I had a code 7 once before... and I replaced the sensor, and then for a little while my cars fuel pump wouldn't kick in whenever you would try to start it. I had another ECU around.. so I switched them.. and my fuel pump was working then... and the vehicle started...

1990 Honda CRX Unable to read fuse instructions as it is in Jap! [ 1 Answers ]

I am unable to read the instrustions on the fuse cover as it is in Jap and not english, can anyone translate this for me to English

How Do I Read Error Codes on 91 Civic Hatchback [ 4 Answers ]

My car won't start... how do you read the codes? I've found conflicting info. My brother Thinks it was 1 pause 1 pause 3, but that dosen't seem right for the problem. The car Is turning over but won't start... no spark. Help, please... thanks.

Honda Civic '97 - Error Codes? [ 3 Answers ]

So I've read through the FAQ and all of that, but I do not see any spot to read error codes as was listed in the FAQ, which I assume was meant for the 88-91's. Anyway, my car was dead yesterday, low power/didn't turn over. Took my battery to Sears, the battery is good, which leads me to believe it...

1990 CRX no start, read the FAQ's... [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, here we go…. 1990 CRX DX 1.5 Manual Trans, Canada Driving to work the other morning, came to a stop and my 1990 CRX quit. I tried to re-start but it would not fire. Rolls over just fine but not even a hint of starting. Got it back home and broke out the Honda manual.. Yes, I have the...

View more questions Search