Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LegalizeIt Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jun 8, 2010, 07:20 PM
    Can you visit someone in jail if you have been in jail yourself?
    My boyfriend and I were arrested together but my case was dismissed and he is still in jail. I am not sure if I will be able to visit. Help please.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2010, 04:52 AM

Since your case was dismissed you are not a convicted felon. Felons cannot visit anyone in jail or prison.

Jun 10, 2010, 05:38 PM

Thanks a lot...
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2010, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalizeIt View Post
    thanks alot....
    Anytime. Also, be sure that your car's license plate is up to date and your driver's license is current and that there are no outstanding warrants for you either. This is because once you park your vehicle, get out and go inside, your license plate is run. Also, when you present your D/L for id you are automatically run in the system. Beware of this as you could either get a ticket for driving a car with outdated plates or get held if you have a warrant. The nice folks at the local jail do all sorts of fun things to make their job a little more colorful and fun.

Jun 10, 2010, 05:49 PM

LOL.. that would be horrible, but I am not driving. I don't think there would have any reason to keep me there.

Also... my boyfriend's friend from Canada is going to be in town and wants to se him. Do they allow people from other countries to visit an American jail?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2010, 05:56 PM

Each jail will have its own rules for visits, time, days, number of visitors and more. In one south GA jail, the inmates merely go to the yard where visitors are standing on the side walk to talk to them.

In others there are two visitors behind a glass wall. So to know the rules for sure, you will have to call.

I do know in many if you were considered part of the crime, you may be on a no visit list. Also in many you have to be a family member for the jail.

Jun 10, 2010, 06:05 PM

My poor boyfriend is in Cobb County Jail... when I called the visitation line the woman said I have to wait until he has been in custody for 5 days before I can apply. Tomorrow is day number 5, so I am going to pray that things go well and I can visit with him. I've managed to get a few phone calls from him. There is a phone where he is being held that allows inmates free 10 min calls and he has my received mail, so I guess things seem pretty fair so far. He is having trouble adjusting to the situation, he is FAR from a hardened criminal. Any advise on how to keep his spirits up would be appreciated as well. I promise... last question for this post, I promise. Thank you everyone...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2010, 06:19 PM

I could give tons of advice but Cobb is better than Fulton County, that is all I need to say, Since this is Cobb county be sure he gets an attorney, ***I did all my police and court work in Fulton county but I personally live in Cobb County.

The fair stops when court begins, the DA wants a conviction, and wants him to confess not go to trial. They are not his friends, they are not there to help him. He needs to keep his mouth shut without an attorney

Jun 10, 2010, 07:38 PM

Well he is there for a probation violation and I have spoke to his probation officer and he doesn't go to court until July 15th, unless something opens up. Should I still get him a lawyer for this kind of case? When he gets his court time he will have been in custody for over a month. I was "hoping" that maybe he would get a second chance at probation or maybe it would be considered time served.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2010, 06:25 AM

Hello again, L:

For a half a joint, I can't imagine they'll keep him longer than that... But you ARE in Georgia, for crying out loud. I wouldn't think he'd need a lawyer. What could be possible do? IF the judge doesn't understand HALF A JOINT, then a lawyer ain't going to make him understand it any better...

excon
    tobias.m Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2011, 05:31 PM
    How can I find out if my cousin got his visit today
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 22, 2011, 03:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias.m View Post
    how can i find out if my cousin got his visit today
    Ask him.
    booooooo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2012, 12:16 PM
    My ex boyfriend is in jail on remand and one of his friends wants to visit him but he come out the same jail 6months ago and his on license... can he still come? Xx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a us felon (only probation no jail time) visit UK [ 0 Answers ]

Can a US citizen with felony conviction for grand larceny in 2006 enter UK to visit? No jail time served, only probation. If so, are special documents or visas needed and where do you go to apply for them. Do not want to be turned back at border

Why can't I visit my soon to be husband in jail now? [ 2 Answers ]

I went to the hearing for my soon to be husband & tried to drop the criminal protective protective order but I had no success. My ex husband (im divorced) wanted my kids on the protective order & I wanted my name off it. I got a revised criminal protective order issued with my kids name on it. Then...

Why would PO go to jail to visit boyfriend? [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend is in jail. He has about another 33 days left. Today his probation officer showed up at the jail and had him sign probation papers and explain the rules of probation to him. Is that normal. I though that that's why they gave 72 hours after you got out of jail to go see them. Just want...

Documents required to visit someone in jail? [ 2 Answers ]

Can Somebody That Don't Have Legal Documents Can Go And Visit Somebody In Jail?? Plzzzzz Help Meeeeeeee Withat Before Is Too Late

View more questions Search