Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdjohn84 Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Jun 8, 2010, 05:42 AM
    Condenser fan motor or capacitor
    I noticed my outside unit buzzing the other day, and the fan was not running. The unit is about 7 years old. I changed the capacitor yesterday, and the unit worked for about 5-10 minutes, but then shut down again with the fan stopping and the buzzing again. I'm 99% sure the buzzing is coming from the fan motor, so that was my next guess of what to change.

Does that sound like the best next step? Should the new capacitor still be okay? At one point I think the pressure release valve opened because I heard a loud hissing. Does that mean some refrigerant escaped?

Thanks

Jun 8, 2010, 05:50 AM

I forgot to mention that the fan seizes and is hard to turn by hand when the power is on and buzzing is occurring. When the power is off the fan will spin freely.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 03:57 PM
    I believe you will be replacing the motor and a new capacitor for that motor you are replacing.

Jun 8, 2010, 08:57 PM

It was the motor. When purchasing, though, I had a problem. My existing motor was 1/3hp and 5/370. The only 5/370 motors were 1/4hp. So I ended up getting a 7.5/370 1/3hp motor, but also had to get a 35+7.5 dual-run capacitor, and toss the 35+5 capacitor I had just purchasd the day before. None of it was exactly an OEM fit, but I made it work. I also realized that I needed to reverse the motor AFTER I had finished installation.

But it works now, so I fixed it myself for about $110 and a few hours of sweat.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 9, 2010, 04:25 AM
    You could have just bought a new 7.5 capacitor and wired it in for the new motor since the compressor would have still used the older 35 MFD side on the old capacitor. Now if you do not know how to wire in two separate capacitors you were better off buying a new combo capacitor like you did. Glad you got it running.

Jun 9, 2010, 11:21 AM

Yeah, that was an option, but I didn't want to hassle trying to figure out where I could mount another cap. For $12 I just bought a new dual-run cap.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condenser fan motor turned the wrong way after capacitor changeout [ 8 Answers ]

I had a dual capacitor for the compressor and condenser fan fail. Since I could not find one on Sunday, I contacted an a/c repair to fix what I already knew was bad. They replaced the capacitor and noticed the condenser fan rotating in the wrong direction after the repair. Their fix was to turn...

AC Fan Motor, capacitor, or what? [ 9 Answers ]

I had the fan motor of my outdoor AC unit replaced about 5 years ago, it has an AO Smith mod F48K92A01 which I found online for about $65 but want to make sure it is not possibly the capacitor or something else first. I caught the unit having the fan hitting the splicer near the top, clank,...

Trane condenser fan motor to A.O.Smith condenser fan motor [ 2 Answers ]

The Condenser fan motor I removed from a Trane unit had four wires 1 black, 1red, 1brown and . The black wire went directly to #3 on the relay, the red wire went to the capacitor with black wire from #6 on the relay the brown wire went alone to the other side of the capacitor. I purchased...

Matching up the correct capacitor with the correct condenser fan motor? [ 4 Answers ]

How crucial is it to match the right capacitor to the right condenser fan motor? If you have the wrong capacitor, can this cause the motor to stop after running for a while, say 20 or 40 minutes? It would start up again, but would allways stop. The specs for the motor are: Emerson E-line, model no...

Condenser fan not run and locked, worth try chang capacitor? [ 3 Answers ]

My AC has been working fine until today. The condenser fan (outdoors) doesn't turn on, but I do hear the hum of the compressor. I'm assuming the compressor is operating OK. When I finally discovered the problem, it already ran for 3 hours and the freon tubes were hot. Afterward I did couple...

View more questions Search