Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trickyl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2010, 02:06 PM
    Can you get pregnant before you get your period after stopping depo?
    My last shot of Depo was Sept 2009, it is now June 2010. I have not had my period yet, but I was wondering if you can get pregnant before you get your cycles back? Please help
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 03:27 PM

Yes... because ovulation happens before a period in your menstrual cycle. It is not uncommon for women to find it takes quite some time before their cycles get back to normal after coming off Depo. Some women will have a return in just a couple of months... others will find it takes over a year.

If you are hoping to become pregnant, you could speak to your doctor about possibly helping you get periods going again. Birth control pills will sometimes be used for this, which sounds as though it would be going against the plan of pregnancy, but they can sometimes help your body regulate hormones again. Once this occurs, you would stop the birth control pills to try for a pregnancy.
    trickyl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2010, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Yes....because ovulation happens before a period in your menstrual cycle. It is not uncommon for women to find it takes quite some time before their cycles get back to normal after coming off Depo. Some women will have a return in just a couple of months.....others will find it takes over a year.

If you are hoping to become pregnant, you could speak to your doctor about possibly helping you get periods going again. Birth control pills will sometimes be used for this, which sounds as though it would be going against the plan of pregnancy, but they can sometimes help your body regulate hormones again. Once this occurs, you would stop the birth control pills to try for a pregnancy.
    So how would I tell if I was pregnant if I am not getting my period? I am not really trying yet, but want to sooner or later.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2010, 01:16 PM

You would possibly become aware of other possible symptoms... increased urination, being more tired than usual, more vaginal discharge, tender breasts, nausea, etc..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Off depo for 5 months still no period want to get pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

My names Ashley Davis. My gynocologist put me on the depo shot after my son was born in September of 2007. After a month or so of being on the shot my periods disappeared all together. About 6 months ago my husband and I decided I should get off the shot because we understood it could take some...

Can you be pregnant on depo provera? Missed period 1st shot [ 3 Answers ]

Can u get preganat while being on depo provera even if u only received 1 shot And missed a period a whole month ?

Unexpected period, that needs stopping! [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on the pill, I missed one day but had it that night, 3 days later I started bleeding. I'm petrified as I can't be on this next week. Please can anyone tell me how I can stop the bleeding. I've bleed from Wednesday its now Friday and I MUST stop by Sunday night. I'm still taking the pills and I...

View more questions Search