Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anne4169 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2010, 09:12 PM
    GMC Sierra 1500 truck won't start
    My truck will not start. I have changed the fuel pump and it still won't start. It has spark and turns over but will not start. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 05:51 AM

What year? Depending on the year, replacing the Ignition Control Module (ICM) frequently solves this problem. The microchip inside fails, due to heat, and it does not fire when the ECM wants it to.

Jun 8, 2010, 02:28 PM
    It is a 1996 GMC Sierra 1500 has 277,000 miles, I was driving and lost power and then it would not start does turn over though
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 02:45 PM

What size engine? V-8?

Sounds like classic ICM failure. At AutoZone, they cost $72 and it will take you 3 minutes to install it yourself.

Jun 8, 2010, 02:58 PM

No it's a V6 where is the ICM located at on the truck
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 03:04 PM

Go to AutoZone.com and look at what DR178 looks like. This will help you locate it on your engine. It is normally located right around the coil. From afar, that's my best guess.

Jun 8, 2010, 03:59 PM

OK I will try that someone else said something about a spider might need to be replaced but this sounds cheaper so I'll go with it first thank you
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 04:11 PM

Here's a link that may help:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post2123675
    lorettacase Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2011, 06:07 PM
    My 1997 gmc seirra truck won't start,we were driving and it just shut off from us,and it has not started since then.trying to start it but it will not start,it wants to start but some how it will not.we've replace a lot of parts,such as distributer cap ,rotor,timing set,pickup coil,ignition relay,module,fuel pressure regulater,fuel pump,strainer, fuel filter.please help me with some information!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

98 GMC Truck will not start [ 1 Answers ]

98 GMC TRUCK 4.3 STARTING PROBLEM. Hello I enjoy your web site and have found it very helpful. My truck has been taking longer than normal to start. I do allow the pump to run and also am aware of energising the fuel rail with the switch on. Milage is 90k. I recently replaced the intake gasket and...

77 gmc sierra ignition [ 3 Answers ]

After pulling steering column off, there is a lock ring with split that is stopping me from removing metal plate that I have to remove to get to the ignition. Is there a certain tool that I have to have to remove that. Tried a screw driver but it won't work.

My 1991 GMC Sierra is overheating [ 1 Answers ]

I had my engine taken out of my 1991 gmc sierra to get the rear main seal resealed, and the intake manifold resealed. After Putting the engine back in, it overheated. So I replaced the thermostat, radiator, and water pump, but it still overheat. If I take out the thermostat it does not overheat,...

96 GMC Sierra no crank [ 3 Answers ]

Today the truck was starting slow, sounding like it was turning over under water, but then starting and running fine. This evening I went to start it and nothing. No turn over no cranking, nothing. Replaced the battery and still nothing. Checked all fuses and fuel pump, nothing. Checked the...

View more questions Search