Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feehery Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2010, 07:29 AM
    What do I need to do about a ground wire when attaching a swag kit
    I am making a light fixture into a swag light fixture as I have not outlet box to use. The new light fixture has a ground wire but none of the swag kits tell me what I should do about the ground wire.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2010, 08:07 AM

Connect to the ground terminal on a 3 prong plug.
    roryrobie Posts: 8, Reputation: -1

Jun 8, 2010, 09:19 AM

The ground wire should be routed with the hot and neutral throw the chain, and then go into your junction box, it should be attached to your ground wire in the j-box
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 8, 2010, 01:48 PM

I have not outlet box to use.
    All connections must be made in a box. Connections to existing fixture must have been made in the fixture itself. Install an "Old work" box then make connections to swag light in box. If house wiring does not have a ground then leave ground to swag unconnected.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2010, 05:24 PM
    If I understand you correctly, you want to put a lamp cord and plug on a fixture which was designed for installation on a ceiling box... is that correct? If so, you will not use the ground wire for this installation. Make sure you observe polarity with the lamp cord.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use a ground wire for a ground and live black or hot wire at the same time? [ 8 Answers ]

I only have 3 wires from my ceiling to connect to my fan/light, the black, white and bare ground. No problems setting up in this room to only one switch but I would like to have the duel fan/light switch in like in my other rooms without having to pull a wire from the ceiling down to the switch,...

Attaching a ceiling light with no ground wire [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a house it was built in 1949 I'm trying to install a new ceiling light in the kitchen. There's a grounding wire on the new fixture but there is no wire coming from the metal box in the ceiling. Should I remove the grounding wire from the new fixture or should I attach the grounding...

Connecting two wires from light kit pull chain switch 2 wire to light kit for fan [ 6 Answers ]

I would like advise on how to attach the two black wires on the light kit pull chain switch to the light kit on the ceiling fan. I see there are two unattached wires on the light kit, one is black and the other is white. Are these the correct wires to attach the pull chain to? If so, how do I...

Attaching light kit Craftmade ceiling fan [ 4 Answers ]

I have Craftmade ceiling fan. I bought a generic Harbor Bay ceiling fan light kit. It seemed very straight forward installation, white to white, black to blue, but afterward the light would not work. I know the light bulbs work, I've tested them. The fan still works. On the wall is a...

Attaching Copper wire to alum. Wire in fuse box. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a electric stove to hook up in my house that had a gas stove. The electric 50 amp receptacle is already in place from the previous owner. The existing stove “aluminum” wiring goes into the circuit breaker box, but the wiring is cut off inside the circuit breaker box and is too short to...

View more questions Search