Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ihave2babies Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2010, 10:29 AM
    Is my child legitimized?
    My sons father is on the birth certificate, does that mean he is legitimized? We were not married and we live in GA. Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 31, 2010, 10:42 AM

Legit means the parents are married at the time of the birth. At least your child has his father's name on his birth certificate.

May 31, 2010, 10:46 AM

We are still together and married now, we married half a month after he was born. So I do need to get him legitimized?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 31, 2010, 11:04 AM

In that case he IS legit now that you two are married.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2010, 02:11 PM

Has there been an issue ? The term is somewhat unused today unless you are talking about child custody or child support normally

May 31, 2010, 03:12 PM

No, no issue, but in the case that something happened to me, and the sorry piece of mess that impregnated me, he could possibly try to take my son from his DADDY... Just trying to make sure he couldn't do that...
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 31, 2010, 03:15 PM

In the state of Georgia a paternity suit may be filed at any time and if someone is proven to be the biological father that means he is the legal father and may get custody/visitation rights. Your marital status and the child's BC have no legal merits.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 31, 2010, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ihave2babies View Post
    Just trying to make sure he couldnt do that...
    No, he can do it in Georgia.From now to child's 18 birthday.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 31, 2010, 09:08 PM
    We are still together and married now, we married half a month after he was born. So I do need to get him legitimized?
    No, no issue, but in the case that something happened to me, and the sorry piece of mess that impregnated me, he could possibly try to take my son from his DADDY... Just trying to make sure he couldn't do that...
    You're confusing me. Are you saying that you married your husband after the child was born, but the biological father is someone other than you husband?

This section of the Georgia Code may be helpful:
    § 19-7-20. What children are legitimate; disproving legitimacy; legitimation by marriage of parents and recognition of child

(a) All children born in wedlock or within the usual period of gestation thereafter are legitimate.

(b) The legitimacy of a child born as described in subsection (a) of this Code section may be disputed. Where possibility of access exists, the strong presumption is in favor of legitimacy and the proof must be clear to establish the contrary. If pregnancy existed at the time of the marriage and a divorce is sought and obtained on that ground, the child, although born in wedlock, will not be legitimate.

(c) The marriage of the mother and reputed father of a child born out of wedlock and the recognition by the father of the child as his shall render the child legitimate; in such case the child shall immediately take the surname of his father.
    LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Georgia Code Research Tool
    LisaMichelle41 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2012, 10:11 PM
    My son signed his sons birth certificate... But the mother would not allow the baby to have my sons last name... She is telling my son that the baby is legitimatized because he signed the birth certificate... From what I read that is not true... Being that they weren't married the baby is not legitimate... Am I wrong or right? Also, I am wondering if he can be made to pay child support if he hasn't had his son legitimatized? Thanks..
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 24, 2012, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaMichelle41 View Post
    My son signed his sons birth certificate...But the mother would not allow the baby to have my sons last name...She is telling my son that the baby is legitimatized because he signed the birth certificate...From what I read that is not true...Being that they weren't married the baby is not legitimate...Am I wrong or right? Also, I am wondering if he can be made to pay child support if he hasn't had his son legitimatized? Thanks..
    You should really start a new thread for a new question. It would depend on the law of whichever state or country in which your grandson was born, but in general, you are correct and the mother is incorrect: if they were not married at the time of birth your grandson is illegitimate.

But that would not have any particular legal consequence in most places today.

Yes, he can be required to pay child support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

How can I get my daughter legitimized? [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is in foster care and have been there for nine months. I have requested for relative placement and the DHR have not responded to my request. I have family who would love to take her until her mother complete her case plan. I am not legitimized and I need help with this process but I...

Another man legitimized my son [ 3 Answers ]

When my son was born me and his mother was not married, I filled out the paternity form at the hospital. A year later we broke up and she married another man and allowed him to legitimize my son by saying he was his biological father . She knew he was not. I looked for him for years and only...

Legitimized Father Seeks answers [ 7 Answers ]

1. I have signed the birth certificate. 2. Basically raised the child since birth who is almost 3yrs old without the mother. 3. Gotten legitimized. 4. I do not however pay child support but I do take care of my child who is and always has been with me. 5. A paternity test has never been done. ...

View more questions Search