Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    t7sunshine Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2010, 06:50 PM
    Hunter fan troubleshooting
    I have a Hunter fan that the light works and fan will turn on low but will not go to medium or high speed. The chain seems to be working as it clicks for the change of speed and will turn off the fan, but the fan only stays at low speed or turns off. Does anyone know what might be causing the problem? Thanks. I do not have the model number.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2010, 07:23 PM

Is this fan old or new? Did the other speeds used to work?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 27, 2010, 08:14 PM

No hand held remote, right? Bad switch, replace with OEM parts.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 27, 2010, 09:39 PM

Ballenger, the problem is hardly ever the switch, as I've stated many times. Please stop giving this advice.

See if you can find the model number on the fan motor. It is probably a bad capacitor.

General ceiling fan troubleshooting and help FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More

May 28, 2010, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    Is this fan old or new? Did the other speeds used to work?
    The fan is about 4 years old. The other speeds used to work. Thanks!

May 28, 2010, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    No hand held remote, right? Bad switch, replace with OEM parts.
    No hand held remote. I found the model #22561. What is OEM? Thanks!

May 28, 2010, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair View Post
    Ballenger, the problem is hardly ever the switch, as I've stated many times. Please stop giving this advice.

See if you can find the model number on the fan motor. It is probably a bad capacitor.

General ceiling fan troubleshooting and help FAQ- Ceiling Fans N More
    Found model # 22561. Thanks!

May 28, 2010, 07:47 AM

OEM mean parts manufactured by the maker of the fan, not after market stuff which could be cheap knock offs. Ceilingfanrepair reminds me that this problem is hardly ever the switch which is true. However, I mention the switch because it is easy to test by most DIYers and it sometimes is the problem. Most of the DIYers I know have no clue how to test a capacitor so I start with the simple approach, something they can try through process of elimination. I certainly trust Ceilingfanrepairs advice and he know way more than I do about fans.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2010, 12:46 AM

Switch is not easy to test, because in order to test it you have to remove it, and there is a 99% chance most people will not wire it back properly. That's a huge risk to take and a lot of trouble to go to for a part that 99.99999999999% of the time is not the cause of the problem, unless the chain has actually broken or pulled out.

Capacitor is easy to test. Replace it. If that solves the problem, it was bad.

For this model Hunter capacitor would still be my first theory. Hunter Fan - Ceiling Fans, Air Purifiers, Humidifiers, Thermostats has replacement parts.

Ceiling Fan Capactors - Troubleshooting and Resources - Ceiling Fans 'N More
    Robrtpschepp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2011, 05:33 PM
    Pull chain broke and replaced switch. Fan now does not run at correct speeds

Aug 17, 2011, 08:15 AM

Robert, you should copy and paste what you wrote in your own new post. Afetr copying go up to the top of this page and paste into the box marked "Ask your question or search"
    BruceFaland Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2012, 04:13 PM
    Is there a way to get rid of the remote now that the house is wired correctly and can have a decora switch to regulate fane speed, instead of the remote?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2012, 07:37 AM
    If it has Pull chains, you can likely remove the receiver, and wire to Separate wall switches.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan and light in Hunter ceiling fan stopped working [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Hunter ceiling fan with four lights. Then without anything unusual happening the fan and lights simultaneously stopped working. I operate the unit using a wall switch. When I turn the switch to "on" I can hear the unit beep so I know that power is going to it, but when I press the fan or...

Hunter Ceiling Fans Troubleshooting [ 2 Answers ]

Hunter Celing Fan - has both pull chains and remote. Pull chain was used to turn on fan instead of using remote; now, the remote will not work. Any suggestions??

Fan switch on hunter ceiling fan model #20537 not working. [ 1 Answers ]

The fan switch on my hunter ceiling fan model #20537 is not working. What colored wires are supposed to go into the switch, and at what position on the switch? I have 3 wires, green, brown and gray. The switch has 4 slots, 3 L 2 1

Hunter Stafford fan, Hunter remote 27157 and two wall switches [ 3 Answers ]

From the ceiling is a tan, a red, a black and a ground that go to two switches on the wall. The fan has a black, a black with white, a ground and a white. The remote has a black, a red, two whites and a black with white stripe. Which do you connect to which? Thanks.

Hunter Fan Model 23282 - Wire Hunter Control Model 27182 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new house that came pre wired for a light/fan. I connected my Hunter Fan (Model 23282) to the ceiling wiring as such FAN/Ceiling Wiring White/White Black/Black Black-White/Red Green/Green I believe I wired the celing correctly.

View more questions Search