Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    r22hawk Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2010, 07:08 PM
    Outdoor faucet spraying
    Hi - First time poster having some issues with an outdoor faucet. I live in MN and I think the freeze/thaw might have gotten this one but hopefully someone can tell me whether I have to replace the entire unit or if there are replacement parts that will do the trick.

I've attached a picture, where the 2 black arrows show the seam which is leaking. From the looks of it these pieces are meant to stay together. Unless there is some assembly I cannot see?

Thanks in advance, this looks like a great place to learn and hopefully someday share information!

Ryan
    Attached Images

creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2010, 07:45 PM

Shut water main off

Remove hose.

Open valve and loosen bonnet nut. This in nut under valve handle. Remove valve.

Loosen faucet nut and remove unit from faucet. This 2nd nut from handle.

While u have it open check washer on valve stem and seat in faucet. Replace washer if worn and seat if it is not smooth.

Replace washer under faucet nut and reassemble.

This should solve your problem.

Good luck

Chuck

May 24, 2010, 07:54 PM

Thanks Chuck!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2010, 07:59 PM

Hope it works. Let us know. And thanks

Chuck
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 24, 2010, 08:02 PM

If you have a leak where you have the arrows (and where the wet spot is), I think you are correct and the body of the hose bib is cracked from freezing. Only option is to replace.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 24, 2010, 08:07 PM

Freeze/thaw cycles can cause problems with the gasket too.

In my neck of the woods, you can take the stem to the local hardware store. They will find parts and do the replacement for free. You pay for the parts.

May 24, 2010, 08:22 PM

If I don't see a crack would that indicate it's the gasket ? It's leaking from the top half of the fixture, where the top arrow is. I confirmed in reading CHuck's post was that the faucet nut will loosen and I can get to the gasket, so it seems I should try that first ? I'd hate to replace if I didn't have to.
    Uber Member

May 24, 2010, 08:31 PM

Open the faucet all the way. You can then loosen the lower nut and that will contain the stem.

The upper nut is called the packing nut. You used to have to PACK the stem with a tubular material. Now, they are preformed rubber gaskets.

May 24, 2010, 08:38 PM

OK, will do. I'll give it a shot tomorrow (when it's light out) and report back. Thanks again guys!
    Uber Member

May 24, 2010, 08:57 PM

And the water is off too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor faucet [ 16 Answers ]

Hey guys, I have an out door faucet in the back of my house. I do have a shutoff on the inside of the house. I am concerned however because the piping for the faucet runs a good 8 feet on the outside of the house. I would like to know if there is a fitting I can hook up after the interior...

Outdoor faucet problems9 [ 2 Answers ]

My outside faucet's shut off valve is turn off, as well as the outside faucet itself but the hose is still dripping quite A LOT, and you can hear the water running in the pipes in the wall. Can I fix this? Thank you for your time.

Leaky outdoor faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to fix outdoor hose bibb, spigot or whatever it is called!! Water runs fine when hose is not connected. When hose is connected water flows out of anti syphon cap on top of faucet. Any suggestions?

Water spraying behind Faucet knob [ 1 Answers ]

I looked over the illustration you sent me speedball1 thank you very much, I also turned the water off, I should have did this the very first day I notice the leak getting worse and then I took off the face plate down to the replacement cartridge I think that's what it is called but that is all I...

Water spraying behind Faucet knob [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my name is Maria and I have a problem, I have a leak coming from my bathtub into my basement, it started small and for months I would notice small amounts of water here and there, until a couple of days ago its has got really bad, I have 2 buckets that fill up overnight that I have to keep...

View more questions Search