Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danarchy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2010, 12:12 AM
    Breaker not tripped, partial power out, but back on only when the dryer is on
    A couple of days ago I returned from work and the power was out in my two bathrooms, my utility closet, and I noticed that a few plugs didn't work throughout the house. None of the breakers had tripped. I have tried resetting them all a few times anyway with no success. I also don't have any of those plugs with the reset button on them. Then today when I was doing laundry I had to run an extension cord into the utility closet from a working outlet to get the washer to work. But the dryer turned on while plugged in to it's original plug. When the dryer was on I noticed that power had been restored to the entire house. Eventually I realized that the power to the section that was out is only on when the dryer is actually turned on and running. As soon as the cycle ends all of the power goes back out. Also the dryer is not getting hot and the clothes aren't getting dry. This has never happened before. I can't imagine that this is just a coincidence, but I'm not sure if the lack of heat is a cause or effect of what is going on. Any idea what is going on and how I can fix it?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 22, 2010, 03:20 AM

Have you checked the plug at the dryer to confirm that you have 220 there? (if its an electric dryer)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 22, 2010, 03:36 AM
    You need to call in an electrician. There is an open connection someplace in the system causing this symptom.

Unless your very knowledgeable about wiring, circuits, etc. you will not be able to locate the problem and fix this yourself.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 22, 2010, 03:37 AM

Try resetting the main breaker.

May 22, 2010, 07:24 AM

I also noticed today that the same thing happens when I turn the stove on. This would make tkrussel's explanation make even more sense.

May 22, 2010, 07:25 AM

The stovetop also doesn't get hot when I turn it on.
    Internet Research Expert

May 22, 2010, 08:33 AM

It sounds like you lost part of your connection somewhere. A transformer can do the same thing. Maybe call your power company out if resetting the breakers doesn't work.
    Uber Member

May 22, 2010, 12:13 PM
    Call anyone yet? It has been 12 hours.

Don't use any outlet that only comes on when you turn the dryer on. These outlets will have lower than normal voltage.

Resetting breakers is useless with these symptoms.

Loose connections can be dangerous for damaging heat and possible fire. This will not get better on its own.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2010, 07:13 PM
    You have lost a "leg". Whether it be your main breaker, or the POCO issue, you can try resetting your main breaker by turning it off. Then back on. If this doesn't fix the problem you need to see if you have power to both legs of the main breaker. If you don't know how to do this SAFELY, you need to call someone who does. If resetting there main breaker DOESN'T fix the problem, call your POCO. They can verify voltage present to your equipment.
    Uber Member

May 23, 2010, 05:41 AM
    Clearly a leg of power is lost and is only part of the problem. Losing one leg or "phase" of a 240 volt feeder will cause any 120 volt circuits on that leg to not operate due to loss of voltage, and any 240 volt devices will not operate due to the same.

No other symptoms should occur. Should be as simple as restoring power to that leg.

There is another underlying problem shown by the fact that a 120 volt circuit gets power back by turning on a 240 volt device such as the dryer. Under normal situation of losing a leg will not cause this to happen.

Would like to hear back from dana with results of someone checking into this problem.

May 26, 2010, 09:53 AM

I had an electrician come out and it was a problem in the main breaker box. They replaced one of the breakers and everything works fine now.
    Internet Research Expert

May 26, 2010, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the update. It helps us as well as others that come here. Congrats on solving your problem.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 26, 2010, 04:31 PM

What happened is with one of the legs opened, the dryer connected one hot to the other phase.
    Still 120 volts is the highest half of the panel would see. The other half(good phase) would see the full 120 volts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No power, but circuit breaker not tripped [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I woke up this morning to no power to a portion of my house. The circuit that seems to have the problem is the garage/small half-bath, but the circuit breaker does not appear to be tripped. Those are the only two rooms in the house that have no power. I did turn it off and back on again...

No power to the garage and the breaker is not tripped? What do I do now? [ 3 Answers ]

My garage lights and power to the outlets went out but the breaker is not tripped? What do I do now?

Circuit Breaker Tripped, but still have power [ 6 Answers ]

I have a circuit breaker switch that is tripped and I cannot reset it. It keeps tripping. I have checked all the lights in every room in the house and have power. I have not checked all the outlets, but if the CB is tripped the lights in the room shouldn't come on. I've checked my GFI outlets...

No power to section of house. No tripped circuit breaker [ 19 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently renovating a living room dining room area. I was done for the day and in the process of cleaning up. I had a compressor connected to an outlet on one side and was using it to blow off saw dust off my miter saw. No other tool or light fixture in the area was on. I then plugged...

Electric Dryer won't heat - tripped breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I have a relatively new (2 years) maytag electirc dryer that won't heat. The issue started when the circuit breaker tripped and had to be reset. Now the dryer has power and will run but not heat. I have seen on other postings that there are a variety of reasons that the dryer may not be heating...

View more questions Search