Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brent32 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 07:25 PM
    Points in a pressure switch
    Points on pressure switch stay in the closed position and won't kick out when pump stops, therefore the pump won't restart. Have any ideas?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 19, 2010, 07:28 PM

What do you mean? If the points don't open the pump doesn't stop.
    brent32 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2010, 07:42 PM
    Older house it's been vacant all winter water has been turned off at main, ex owner has been tampering with pressure switch, when I moved in last Friday no water. Sometimes pump seems to work, pumps up to 40 pounds. Later on no water and gauge at 0. points on switch are in the pump position if you will and nothing happening. I have held points away for a minute then released and it would pump (sometimes) a lot of rust in lines, most are plugged, I took switch off this morning cleaned the best I could and nothing, hope it's not the pump?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2010, 04:55 AM

Start by replacing switch. Lest expensive. Let us know how this works out for u. If still problem we can go from there.

Chuck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 20, 2010, 05:21 AM

Are the contacts pitted and sticking together? If so you can clean the contacts with a file or sandcloth or you simply replace the switch. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

York residential furnace pressure switch problem code stuck switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a york furnace P2MD12H06401A after 1 hour it shuts down and gives a 2 flash error for a stuck pressure switch. The switch is new can it be wired wrong? The old one had 2 white wires piggy back and 1 blue wire. The new switch has 3 separate terminals

Points keep burning out on pressure switch [ 2 Answers ]

Points on pressure switch keeps burning out on one side of the switch. Is the switched wired wrong or do I have a more serious problem

Toggle Switch Rated for Tools. Six Connection Points. How Come? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, All! I just bought a new, generic switch for a bench mounted power tool that I have. It's a toggle switch. I needed something that had a ground connector. I figured out how to connect things up and everything is working fine! However, this switch has six connection points on it. I'm...

Deep well, pressure tank/switch not building pressure [ 13 Answers ]

The only way I have water pressure is to leave the power on! I have replaced the 5 gallon pressure tank (28psi when void of water)/fittings/pressure gauge and tried 3 new 30/50 pressure switches and the problem remains the same. With the power off, the pressure drops to 0 (not 30). When I...

Square D pressure switch wiring melting points. [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am having problems with my well this week and right now have no water at all. I saw earlier in the week that the old pressure switch contacts were in very bad shape so I cleaned them but a day later it quit working. I bought a new switch this morning and put it in after about 10...

View more questions Search