Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gbrown Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2006, 12:09 PM
    Power goes out in part of house w/out tripping breaker Part 2
    How would I use a voltage tester? Would I go from outlet to outlet measuring the voltage? I've gone around the house and tightened outlets and opened the panel and tightened the screws that were not tight.
    I haven't seen the lights dim since I tightened everything.
    Thanks a lot!
    Gbrown
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2006, 06:31 AM
    Using a voltage tester I should have said to use a volt meter, something that measures voltage accurately, not just sense voltage. Measuring the actual voltage would help with identifying parts of the circuit that are being affected.

Knowing exactly where the loose connection was found would have my preference, so as to be sure the fault was definitely found, and not hoping.

Monitor the flickering lights to be sure it does not occur again. Did tightening the connections also stop the power from shutting off in the area as you mentioned?
    Gbrown Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Dec 27, 2006, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Using a voltage tester I should have said to use a volt meter, something that measures voltage accurately, not just sense voltage. Measuring the actual voltage would help with identifying parts of the circuit that are being affected.

Knowing exactly where the loose conection was found would have my preference, so as to be sure the fault was definitely found, and not hoping.

Monitor the flickering lights to be sure it does not occur again. Did tightening the connections also stop the power from shutting off in the area as you mentioned?
    I haven't had a flicker since I practically went through the whole house tightening outlets, pulled the cover off the circuit breaker panel and tightened a lot of things, put proper bulbs in lamps, found one very bad lamp, couple of outlets that were -polarity etc. Haven't had a power outage or flicker since I last wrote to you.
    Thanks for the advice!
    PS got a new multi-meter for x-mas out of the deal pretty good eh?
    Greg Brown

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treadmill Tripping Breaker [ 21 Answers ]

We just bought a new mid-range treadmill rated for 11 amps. Our house is relatively new (about 2 years) and the electrical was checked for code by a home inspector when we purchased the house. The treadmill manual stated it was required that it be plugged into a single outlet surge suppressor...

Breaker keeps tripping [ 24 Answers ]

I need to figure this out. I have two 15 amp space heaters in my garage and when I turn them both on it throws the breaker. The breaker at box for this is rated at 20amps. I have been told that I can run both on high and won't throw the breaker. I also replaced the old breaker with a new one (same...

Change circuit breaker for part of house [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I am looking for info on how to change the circuit breaker that runs the front end of my house; i.e.. Bedroom, livingroom and front garage. It is a little black box with a 15 on it :) please help. Never realized how dependent we are on our appliances until now How do I change the little...

Power in part of house goes dead w/out triping breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, great site, use it more than I thought I would. Question: The electricity in part of my house will go dead without tripping the breaker for those rooms and then will come back on within 30-60sec by itself, lights have been dimming as if a dip in voltage has occurred. Thanks Gbrown

A/c power breaker tripping [ 2 Answers ]

I have dual a/c units to control the upstairs and downstairs of my residence. I have isolated my problem of no cold air to the breaker panel. I need help identifying what the possible reasons may be for the breaker tripping. There are two breakers (one coming directly from the a/c units with a...

View more questions Search