Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    villansarehot21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2010, 09:21 AM
    Signs of parvo recovery
    How many days does it take the parvo virus to run its course?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 18, 2010, 09:26 AM
    Your dog will not be cured without proper medical treatment. It's not like having a cold.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 18, 2010, 09:28 AM

Parvo is a really tough one.
    On average only about 50% of puppies survive the virus and that is WITH vet treatment. It's an almost guaranteed death without a vet.

Recovery varies between individual dogs, some take a few weeks, others a few months to fully recover.

Keeping up the fluids is the most important thing to do, you vet either will (or already has) given fluids under the skin as well as put the dog on an IV drip.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 18, 2010, 09:37 AM

You need to make sure the living environment is also cleaned. Bleach is your best tool. You really should throw out all bedding he uses, toys, dishes, any shoes that have come in contact with the feces or urine. Your yard will harbor the virus for a long time, making any new or visiting animals susceptible to it. It's rare that once they get it, they will get it again, but it has been known to happen. Especially the way the virus is mutating.

How old is your dog? Did it get any of the vaccines, and have you sought out medical treatment?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2010, 09:36 PM

The course parvo runs is getting sick to death.

The pup needs to see a vet if it hasn't already. Parvo is a puppy killer. These little guys can get parvo, even after their series shots have been completed.

This issue is not worth waiting around for an answer on here.. please go to the vet ASAP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Parvo recovery time line? [ 16 Answers ]

I adopted a 9 week old pup. He was OK the first two days, but started to act funny the third day. He was very tired and stopped eating/drinking. I brought him to the vet on day 4. The vet thought that it was parasites, put fluid under his skin, and sent us home. The next day, he wasn't any...

Windows recovery? Can I create a recovery partition? [ 4 Answers ]

I had to fix a computer for a friend. He got viruses on the computer and I have to do a destructive wipe and completely reinstall a fresh copy of windows. This is not the first time it happened and I am looking for a way to cut down the time it takes to fix this thing when it happens again in...

Parvo [ 19 Answers ]

I have a almost two yr old lab hound border collie and he had parvo as a pup and got through it with the vets help is it possible for him to get parvo again? Can sumone please help me out?

Parvo [ 5 Answers ]

My puppy recently died from parvo, I buried her in the back yard. I was told the parvo will never go away, how can I get rid of the Parvo? How long should I wait to get another puppy?

View more questions Search