Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glenn Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2010, 05:18 PM
    Low voltage in outlet
    Hi,

I have an outlet that is reading only 70 volts instead of 110. Any ideas what would cause this? I'm hoping it's the breaker which I have not yet been able to change out. I've also heard it could be loose wires inside junction boxes.

Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 3, 2010, 05:25 PM

Won't be the breaker. Poor connection somewhere. How did you check voltage. Poor connection could be in neutral. Check voltage to ground. If voltage to ground is 120 the bad connection is in neutral.
    Glenn Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2010, 08:09 PM
    Thanks. I initially used a simple 110/220 tester. It did not light up so I thought the outlet was dead. But when I started to take out the outlet, I got buzzed. So I used a multimeter and that's when I read 70 volts.

The box I was working on was the end of the line. So it sounds like I need to go to each box on that circuit and look for loose connections.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2010, 10:06 PM

Make sure all wires are installed under screws. The quick connects can cause this problem.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Halogen - line voltage (120v) or low voltage (12v) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. I am renovating the kitchen and plan to install small halogen MR16 ceiling pot lights. Contrast and Lightolier have been recommended. At least, the Contrast line is available with either line or low voltage feeds. These questions come up as the plan calls for 9x35w MR16 (ceiling pot...

Track lights: low voltage vs line voltage.comsume the same electricity in the end? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi! I just installed a section of track light in my living room just to see what it would look like and so far I'm not convinced... you see, I had a regular celing lamp with a 75w incandescent bulb and the room was very well lit... now with the track light I find that I need 3 fixtures with halogen...

Voltage drop at one outlet [ 3 Answers ]

I have an interesting problem that has me perplexed. My microwave is on a circuit by itself. It quit working. I checked the outlet. It has 88 volts across neutal and hot. I took the microwave down. There is a large plate on the wall that is bolted to the studs. I measure 37 volts between...

Electrical outlet wires have no voltage going to it [ 4 Answers ]

The electrical outlet had no voltage going to it. I opened it up and removed the wires from the outlet, and then put a voltage meter across the outlet wires. No voltage. The circuit breaker was on so I am puzzled. How do I check to make sure that the circuit breaker is not defective. The outlet is...

Low voltage or line voltage? [ 3 Answers ]

I have electric ceiling heat. How can I tell whether my thermostats are low voltage (24 volt) or line voltage (120 or 240 volt)?

View more questions Search