Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ri_guy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2010, 05:15 PM
    How long does probation transfer take?
    I understand how I need to go about transferring my probation, but the issue is how long it is going to take. I have 1 year unsupervised probation for 1st offense dui in MA. I am going to accept a job in MD and I am planning on asking for the standard two weeks to leave my old job. From what I've heard there is no way my probation will be transferred in that short period. I really want this job (I've been looking for a year now). Any thoughts, tips, etc? And I know this last bit isn't legal advice, but has anyone done this? I was thinking that I take the job and move and maintain a MA address with a friend and then when my transfer kicks in I make it official. I'm not trying to cheat the system, I'm just trying to make a living and further my career. Thx.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2010, 06:50 PM

You ARE trying to cheat the system. No ifs, ands or buts about it. You need to speak to your PO now and get a handle on just how long this could take. Sometimes it can take months as both states must agree to the change. It's not just your state but the state you wish to change to that must agree and if you know government workers and how they work you will have to wait, wait and wait some more for them to complete the paperwork process. If you DO decide to do it your way, you do know that you risk being caught out of state and then you will have to face the consequences of a probation violation hearing at which time your judge could decide to give you either jail time or more probation time or both.

I know I'm not being helpful as you somehow came here wanting our "blessing" and for us to provide some quasi legal scheme to help you. In reality that's not going to happen from us here.

Remember, you are the one on probation and you did something to get there as in DUI. You need to remember you got yourself into this mess so you have only yourself to blame if you make your present mess worse by trying to "trick" the system and make it work for you.

I have no other advice for you as you probably don't want to hear it as you'll most likely play the "use someone else's address" cross your fingers and hope for the best when all is said and done in this.

But before you do that just remember this. If you are caught outside your probation state in say a traffic accident, traffic stop, etc your PO will find out and you will be violated and you will have a warrant out for your arrest. Also, prior to having your probation terminated a criminal check is made to see if there are any police indicents that you neglected to tell your PO about. Then all bets are off as you will be violated and NOT terminated from your present probation.

Ask yourself this. Is my new job worth my freedom in case I get caught violating my probation? Only you can answer that question.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2010, 07:32 PM

Yes, you are not even cheating you are breaking the rules, keeping a address is not living there. If your friend turns you in, if your PO finds out somehow, guess what jail you will be setting in for that year.

Is a year in jail worth that risk ?

You talk to him get his permission in writing to take the new job and agree to travel back if required to meet with him. In the end, you don't accept jobs and move unless PO has ok'ed it
    ri_guy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2010, 08:50 AM

I obviously don't want to make the wrong choice here, and we all know what that is, myself included. I was just wondering if anyone had doen something like that. I understand fully the ramifications of my acts. However, I am just trying to get a handle on how long the process will take. Does anyone know if hiring a lawyer will expedite the process? This is a MA specific question, so please, those with exper in the MA court system speak up. Thx.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 1, 2010, 02:51 PM

Hello ri:

If you COMMUNICATE your needs, maybe they'll let you go on an extended visit until the transfer comes through. But, you're not going to get away with gaming the system.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long will it take for my misdemeanor probation transfer from Texas to Nevada take? [ 1 Answers ]

How long will it take for my misdemeanor probation take to transfer from tesas to Nevada? It is a class A assault w/bodily injury and is my first offense ever.

How long can take to transfer a probation from Texas to Michigan [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I would like to know how long time can take to transfer a probation from Texas to Michigan , this a deferred adjudication for domestic violence.

How long does it take to transfer probation from Arizona to Michigan? [ 2 Answers ]

my husband is on probation for two years in arizona and is in process of getting transfer underway to michigan, you see we have a son who is eight and wants daddy and we want to reconcile our marriage and i misscarried our second baby and my close aunt died so he wants to be here for us asap to...

Probation Transfer - How long will it take? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was charged with a Grand Larceny 4, Felony. And he was given five years of probation. He is currently under the lowest supervision offered - he goes in once a month to see his probation officer, and that's all he has to do. We met while I was going to school in New York state. I live...

How long does it take for a probation transfer to go through [ 2 Answers ]

How long does it take for a probation transfer to go through

View more questions Search