Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    statechamp171 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2010, 04:03 PM
    How do I wire a light switch and a receptacle in the same box
    I need to know how to configure the following wiring scenerio:

I have a 14/2 wire coming from the MAIN into the first receptacle in a finished basement room. A second wire went from this receptacle to the next receptacle. It was configured BLACK IN/BLACK OUT/BLACK PIGTAIL TO RECEPTACLE (BRASS), AND WHITE IN/WHITE OUT/WHITE PIGTAIL TO RECEPTACLE (SILVER)

I want to add a light switch to control a new light in the room. So now I have 1 line in from MAIN , 1 line out to LIGHT, 1 line out to the next recptacle and 1 RECPTACLE AND 1 SWITCH in the current double gang box.

How to configure so light can go on and off but receptacle is always HOT. (diagrams please)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2010, 04:14 PM

Hk is good with the diagrams, but you need a cable to your switch(black/white) connect another black white to those 2 for a nother receptacle and also from that switch box, a cable to your light.
    In the switch box, all whites tie together, the black that goes to the light, identify with tape, or make a loop in the wire to identify as the switched leg and will connect to the switch.
    The other 2 blacks( feed from current power, and your additional get connected together, and with a pigtail which connects to the other terminal on the switch.
    It is understood all grounds tie together.

Apr 29, 2010, 04:45 PM

Can you use these abbreviations if you can't show a diagram.

Pigtail (P.)

P. BLACK
    P. WHITE

OUT to next Receptacle (O.R.)

O.R. BLACK
    O.R. WHITE

RECPTACLE (R.)

R. BRASS
    R. SILVER

HOT IN FROM MAIN (M.)

M. BLACK
    M. WHITE

SWITCH (S.)

S. BRASS 1
    S. BRASS 2

LINE OUT TO LIGHT (L.)

L. BLACK
    L. WHITE
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 05:04 PM

If I understand correctly, you want to add a light switch next to an outlet in a 2 gang box.
    Post back if I have misunderstood.
    Attached Images

stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 05:09 PM

HK, you for got the abbreviations. :D LOL

Nice drawings once again. It is incredibly nice of you to go through the trouble of custom drawing these for folks.

I hope they appreciate that these are all drawn by hand (computer) and not some stock diagrams.
    There are no such thing as stock wiring diagrams for this type of thing.

Apr 29, 2010, 05:16 PM

Thanks Stan. It's not that I'm a nice guy, it's just that I never learned to read and write, so I have to draw pictures.

Apr 29, 2010, 05:32 PM

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!

Better to use wire nuts or at the outlet (1st or 2nd diagram)

I am assuming by using dia 1 if either applainace goes out the rest of the circuit will continue to work but if I use dia 2 and one of the appliances fails the circuit will not work? Correct or not?

Apr 29, 2010, 05:39 PM

That is correct, your preference.

Apr 29, 2010, 06:26 PM

Works like a charm
    dyi stew Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2012, 06:15 AM
    I have an older wired bathroom I want to wire a light switch and outlet in the same box how do I do that?the wires come in black and white.. I want it in a double box. Switch next to a wall outlet receptical then going to a light
    Thank you,

Jun 28, 2012, 10:17 AM
    If you have two cables (black and white in each cable) you can do that. If you have only one cable (only one black and white wire) you can't. If you have only one black and one white you have a switch loop. There is no neutral at the switch box. One wire (white) brings power from the light box to the switch. It is connected to the wire bring power to the light box. The other wire (black) takes the power back to the light box and is connected to the light itself.

In this situation you need 3 wires between the light and the switch box to have an outlet next to the switch.
    One to come, one to go and one for a neutral for the outlet.
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

Jun 28, 2012, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dyi stew View Post
    I have an older wired bathroom i want to wire a light switch and outlet in the same box how do i do that?the wires come in black and white..I want it in a double box. switch next to a wall outlet receptical then going to a light
    thank you,
    If this is a single cable coming from the light, you probably won't be able to do this, because this is simply the wire switching the light fixture.
    grant01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2012, 10:40 PM
    I just followed your instructions for the receptacle and switch installation.
    These are the best instructions I've seen after so much time lost in looking for answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire a 4 prong Leviton dryer plug receptacle from fuse box? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new dryer with a 4 prong plug. My old dryer was wired directly. I have a Leviton (Nema 14-30R) "30A - 125/250V GROG" plug receptacle and a junction box and wish to mount it, however, I don't know if there is a specific order for the wires to be hooked up to the actual box. Wires are...

How to Wire a Split Receptacle Controlled by a Switch [ 2 Answers ]

How to Wire a Split Receptacle Controlled by a Switch

Install light switch to control receptacle outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I wish to install a receptacle and a light switch by which to control it. I have a hot, neutral, and ground wire running to the switch. Which wires go where in the switch box, and how do they extend to the receptacle?

Trying to connect a light, single pole switch, receptacle and a line furhter down [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out how to connect a light, single pole switch, receptacle and a line that goes to another room. The "hot" is coming into a rectangular box for the light fixture. I can figure out how to get constant power to the receptacle and the room further down the line, I am having...

Is there a maximum number of conductors coming into receptacle or switch box? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and in process of wiring it. I was wondering if the NEC code specified a maximum number of 12-3 or 14-3 wires coming into an outlet or switch box. I have heard two different opinions on this. One opinion was that I could only run two wires into a standard single gang...

View more questions Search