Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maricela Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 12:38 PM
    Gas heater won't turn on
    We live in a 70's home, with a gas heater, and the heat had been turning on (delayed) and then turned off inconsistently last winter. This winter, we would turn up the heat, and sometimes it would turn on and sometimes not. So, we replaced the heater thermostat with a LUX digital thermostat, and it turned on once, hours after we turned up the heat, and since has not turned on again. So, it doesn't appear that the termostat was the problem, but what could it be? Starting to get cold in Calif...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 06:14 AM
    So what does happen? If it is a older furnace, the thermostats will switch power from the red wire to the white wire, which opens the gas valve. After it warms up a limit switch, the blower relay starts the blower. If the blower doesn't come on, another limit switch shuts the gas valve off.

The gas valve won't come if the pilot light isn't on. You must also have 24 volts AC from a transformer in the furnace. It may have an inline fuse.

Newer furnaces work a little differently.

If you can't find the problem, post back. If the furnace has a little circuit board inside, maybe near the blower and filters, it is a newer furnace. It would help the better people here to give the brand and model.
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Dec 19, 2006, 08:49 AM
    Sounds like the coil in the gas valve may be getting weak. Make sure when it calls for heat that you are getting 24 volts across the valve. If so and it does not light, the gas valve is bad...
    juggallojed Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

Dec 19, 2006, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by maricela
    We live in a 70's home, with a gas heater, and the heat had been turning on (delayed) and then turned off inconsistently last winter. This winter, we would turn up the heat, and sometimes it would turn on and sometimes not. So, we replaced the heater thermostat with a LUX digital thermostat, and it turned on once, hours after we turned up the heat, and since has not turned on again. So, it doesn't appear that the termostat was the problem, but what could it be? Starting to get cold in Calif.....

First check the filters .

Poor airflow will trip a safety that cycles the burner,, I would inspect the ac coil and the blower as well as check to see if the return and supply ducts are adequate

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heater will heat, but fan will not turn off [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have a big problem that is killing me. I have a central Heat and AC unit that works well, but the fan won't seem to turn off. The AC and Heat works well, but the fan just keeps on running. I was gone for 3 months for ARMY business and my wife did not know that this was not working right,...

Gas forced air heater won't turn heat on [ 6 Answers ]

My honeywell thermostat electric, shows "filter" change light blinking and won't turn on the heater when turned up. The thermostat will 'click' when temp turned up and I can manually turn on the fan but no fire in the heater. The thermostat is 1 year old, filter changed

Heater Will Not Turn Off! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Carrier model 58PAV070-08. We got home from work and the heater was constantly run and would not shut off. Temp. reached 95 degrees. The only way to get it off is the power switch at the unit. I have changed out two $300.00+ control boards and it is doing the same thing, changed the...

Pilot light turns off when I turn my heater off [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Hope someone can help with this problem I've been having with my heater. I have a Day & Night heater and whenever I turn the heater off, the pilot light goes off and I have to manually light the pilot each time. Any clues on what could be the problem? Thanks for any help!

Gas water heater & gas dryer [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into an duplex and purchased a gas dryer in excellent condition from a local thrift store. My trouble is, I don't see anywhere to hook the gas line (from the dryer up). It looks like there is just an electrical outlet. Can someone help? Isn't there some kind of two prong gas line...

View more questions Search