Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dgambrall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2006, 10:06 AM
    Loud shower noise
    When I pull the shower diverter in our bathroom it makes a very loud squealing sound. It only makes this sound on hot water settings... turning back to cold water stops the sound. It takes a about 5 seconds for the water to come out of the shower head and the squealing continues while hot water comes out. We have a single knob for water temperature and the diverter is in the tub spigot. I soaked the shower head in CLR and it has not helped the issue. I tried the diverter with the shower head completely removed from the pipe and still get the noise. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    BradH Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Dec 19, 2006, 12:37 PM
    Its not the shower head it's the spigot. Put your hand under the spigot to form an air tight seal and see if it continues. From the research that I have done on this in the past it is caused by air getting sucked up into the spigot because the diverter is not making a good seal.
    BillyRay Stephens Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Dec 20, 2006, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dgambrall
    When I pull the shower diverter in our bathroom it makes a very loud squealing sound. It only makes this sound on hot water settings...turning back to cold water stops the sound. It takes a about 5 seconds for the water to come out of the shower head and the squealing continues while hot water comes out. We have a single knob for water temperature and the diverter is in the tub spigot. I soaked the shower head in CLR and it has not helped the issue. I tried the diverter with the shower head completely removed from the pipe and still get the noise. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Brad it sounds as though you need to change you shower valve cartridge.
    rsimplicio Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Dec 21, 2006, 12:25 AM
    I agree with BillyRay, you need to change your valve's cartridge. There is a problem with either the o-rings or the valving on the hot side of the cartridge that is causing the issue.
    teej52 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 02:23 AM
    Comment on BradH's post
    Yes yes --- this worked --- the very loud squealing sound stopped, and now how to fix it. Can't take showers with hand under the spigot --- Thank you so much -- TJ in CA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace blower loud train like noise [ 20 Answers ]

My furnace blower recently started making a loud, low, steady train like noise every time it comes on. It is not a higher pitched squeek, but more like an engine. It is moving air and the cage is spinning. My furnace is supposed to be a perm lubricated motor. Help! I have the blower motor...

Loud Noise From Shower Pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, when I turned on my shower this morning it made a very loud noise from the pipes that vibrated everything & was very loud. It almost sounded like a motor it was so loud. It doesn't happen when I'm running water out of the bottom faucet, but when I pull the mixer button up for the water to...

Loud noise after tiolet is flushed [ 2 Answers ]

After the toilet is flushed there seems to be extra noise going on in wall where the pipes are. It only happens in the one bathroom. The noise sounds like the water to refill the toilet is louder than normal. I'm not sure how else to explain it. This just started recently - Our house is only 4 yrs...

Ac Making Loud Noise [ 1 Answers ]

My AC makes a loud noise when cycling. Also it never gets any cooler than 75. Could this be my compressor? How hard is this to fix yourself?

Loud Knocking Noise when cold water side of shower is on [ 5 Answers ]

Howdy folks. When I turn my shower on, I have to turn the water all the way to hot, switch the shower lever, and then adjust to warm... otherwise I get a huge loud knocking sound from the basement. I went down to see if I could see pipes rattling or anything, but nothing. I turned on the faucet...

View more questions Search