Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sellners Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2010, 08:31 AM
    Can I put a wood burner next to my furnace
    We want to put a wood furnace in our basement and use as the main heat and keep the propane furnace as the back up source. I am wondering how far apart the two have to be from each other.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2010, 08:48 AM

If the wood burner were anywhere else, then I'd just say "be sure that there is 2.5+ feet clearance from your wood burner...

...but since it's in your basement I can't help but ask: How are you going to get the heat from the wood burner in the basement to the rest of your house? Are you going to/planning to "tie into" the existing ducts?

Apr 8, 2010, 12:23 PM

We were planning on tieing into the existing duct work but before we do anything we need to find out what the distance has to be for the two furnaces in the basement. Our only other option is to do an outside burner but with our city ordnance the chimney has to extend higher than the rest of the house. We have a 2 story home and the placement for that pipe would look really odd and it would be costly for the parts.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2010, 12:26 PM

As for distance from your furnace, 2.5-3' will be good. I think, though, that tying into your existing duct work will be the tougher issue.. . I know: you may already know that :)

Do yourself a favor, though: get a local guy (a reputable one who knows the codes in your area) in there to give you an estimate on the work, and while he is there get his opinion on the placement of the wood burner.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2010, 05:26 PM

Does your wood burner have its own blower or are you going to use the blower from the furnace?

Apr 10, 2010, 09:24 AM

The wood furnace we were looking at has it's own blower so we would only have to run the pipes to the chimney and the duct work.

Apr 10, 2010, 09:27 AM

What would you suggest as a good wood furnace for heating a 2200 sq. ft. home?
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2010, 09:33 AM

You would want one at least 90,000 btu's

Apr 10, 2010, 12:22 PM

Thank you everyone for your help and advise it has been very helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood Burner [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the process of installing an outdoor wood burner, Central Boiler, and hope that someone could give some advice on installing the thermostat. I currently have fuel oil forced air in my house. The thermostat controlling that furnace is a round honeywell. The wiring is a two wire (red and...

Older; :Jensen wood burner [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older Jensen wood burner. The closest that I can come to a model is PFS 80-86. It is a two blower unit but hasn't been run in 6 or 7 years. The electrical looks OK including a thermostat.s Does anyone have any owners manual or instructions that would apply? Or could tell me anything...

Wood Burner Question [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a home with a wood burner add on to the regular forced air heat pump my question is do I need to keep the blower constantly running on the back of the wood burner to circulate the warm or let the blower on my heat pump run to circulate the warm air from the wood burner...

View more questions Search