Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Apostruk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2010, 08:44 PM
    120 Volts -> 1820 Watts -> 15 Amps ->#12 Wire
    What's wrong with the combination of components in the title?

The issue I have may not actually be a problem but I'm curious to get another opinion nevertheless.

I had to find a circuit to connect an electrical sauna in the basement. The 1840 Watt sauna required a dedicated 120 Volt, 20 Amp, single phase circuit.

To do this I disconnected three baseboard heaters that were no longer needed in the basement. This gave me a dedicated circuit on a #12 wire. So far so good. However, because the original circuit was dual phase, I had to relocate the connection in the panel to a single phase 15 Amp breaker. Unfortunately I couldn't move the original 20 Amp breaker.

Now here's my question.

Since I have a dedicated circuit on a #12 wire, is it OK to use the 15 Amp breaker, especially if it doesn't trip when the sauna is in use? In other words, am I not "overprotecting" the circuit?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Thanks
    Kurt
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 09:51 PM

Short answer, you should be using a 20 A circuit breaker.
    Why?
    Because the sauna is likely considered a "space heating" or continuous load. Because of that the wiring is sized at 1.25 > the current. 18.85 A = 1820/120*1.2. The next circuit size is 20A and the wire size is 12 AWG.

A "continuous load" is a load that is expected to be on for more than 3 hours at a time. It specifically includes space heating.

1820/120 is a smigen over 15A which further complicates things.

The OCPD or Overcurrent protective Device may mot be rated for 15 A continuous, so it may overheat.
    Apostruk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2010, 10:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post

The OCPD or Overcurrent protective Device may mot be rated for 15 A continuous, so it may overheat.
    So, are you saying that an undersized OCPD will dangerously overheat before it actually trips open? Obviously this happens with an undersized conductor, but I didn't realize that this can also happen with an undersized breaker.

BTW, I'm not interested in doing an experiment in my home panel. Therefore, based on your opinion I will install a 20A breaker on this circuit before using the sauna.

Thank you for your response.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 10:54 PM

You did get the short version: Long version here: Sizing a circuit breaker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stratmando, thanks I don't have 120 volts between Hot and Neutral. I have 120 volts [ 2 Answers ]

Stratmando, thanks I don't have 120 volts between Hot and Neutral. I have 120 volts between hot and ground Also have 120 volts between Neutral and ground How far in the wiring do these types of problems reach into the wall?

12 gauge wire @ 160 ft with 120 v and 14 amps will it work [ 1 Answers ]

Need to know if the amperage will be enough when it gets to the pump off a 20 amp breaker

120 volts vs 240 volts tools [ 3 Answers ]

How do I configure a 120 volts 60hz woodworking tools bought in the usa to work on a 240 volts 50hz power rating in my country without having to compromise the motor operation. I understand that the stepdown transformer can only reduce the voltage but not the cycles. That means that a tool with...

View more questions Search