Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trip80 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2010, 05:34 PM
    Wiring 3 way fixture, fixture switch switch
    Hi,

Quick question. Anyone have a diagram of wiring

Power to fixture, fixture, switch switch

The switch part is right, but only one light is illuminating, the other is dim
    Anything would help.

Ive done the whole basement in a matter of no time, Ive wired 3 way before, just not with 2 fixtures. My hair is turning grey, Im sure it is just something I am missing.

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 06:18 PM

I'll describe it.

The wide blade on the plug runs to all of the threaded part of the base. This should be the ribbed, neutral or white conductor.

The switch probably has a C terminal and a 1 and 2 terminal.
    The C terminal wires to the narrow blade of the plug, the non-ribbed conductor, or the black (hot) wire.

The (1) terminal goes to the middle of lamp #1
    The (2) terminal goes to the middle of lamp #2

You should then have, OFF, lamp #1, lamp #2 and lamp #1 and #2

If a position is dim, you probably wired a bulb in series. When you take one of the bulbs out, they both will go out whch isn't right.

Apr 1, 2010, 06:38 PM

Sorry man you lost me.

Apr 1, 2010, 06:41 PM

Actually I started to think and Im going to do what you said. I don't under the "middle of the lamp"
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 06:44 PM

Oh. The lamp base consists of a threaded portion and a contact at the bottom. That contact at the bottom is the "middle of the lamp". It will be a brass screw or a black wire usually.

Apr 1, 2010, 07:30 PM

Am I needing 3 wire between the fixtures?

Any possible way you might be able to find a diagram? Appreciate your help by the way
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 07:52 PM

Oh, I could have entirely misunderstood.

Is this house wiring where one or two fixtures are controlled from 2 locations? Or (see: http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/in...way-switch.htm)

A lamp where you have a rotary switch that may turn on one, two or three bulbs? (I was describing this)

Apr 1, 2010, 09:19 PM

Perfect thanks a ton. I guess I do have to run 3 wire between the lights thanks a ton
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 10:00 PM

Yep. 3 wire w/ground.

Sorry I misunderstood what you were trying to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a light fixture to a 3 way switch [ 4 Answers ]

Am replacing an old light fixture in an upstairs hall that is connected to 3 different switches; one downstairs, one at the far end of the hall and one at the close end of the hall. Coming into the light receptacle box are 3 white wires, 3 black wires, 1 red wire and 3 exposed copper wires. My...

Existing switch will not shut off new fixture [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing a kitchen fixture and I can't turn it off with the existing switch The ceiling box has two wires going in. a black and white, as well as a black, white and red. I did not connect the red to anything as it was not connected to the previous fixture. The two blacks are...

Adding a light fixture to a three way switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fixture in the basement controlled by two two switches, one at the top of the stairs, one down in the basement. I want to add a light to the top of the stairs and have it controlled by the same switch. I ran a wire through the wall to one of the switches, but I'm not sure how to connect...

Adding switch and fixture [ 1 Answers ]

Add-on shower light fixture, have already run wire to existing single switch box. What is the wiring to make double switch from the existing box? The existing switch has one house feed in/out

Light Switch and Fixture [ 1 Answers ]

Bought a 72 Mobile Home. Want to install new hall light. From box comes B & W(B) light Switch wires. Main Feed w/ B & W & Ground. than 2nd set B, W & Ground. The circuit breaker for this powers the following Kitch & LR & BR light as well as the Hall light & switch. Im think that the...

View more questions Search