Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sky4601 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2010, 05:50 PM
    99 ford taurus, how do you remove the p/s - altenator bracket?
    Ok, I really feel like an idiot, I am trying to replace the power steering pump in my '99 Ford Taurus, and I can not get the mount bracket off the engine. It seams that there is something else holding it on. Is the idler tention pully hiding a bolt I do not know about? Can the idler be removed? If so, how? If anyone has the answer, it will be greatly appriciated. Thanks.
    Carl17 Posts: 66, Reputation: 9

Mar 31, 2010, 05:54 PM

Disconnect negative battery cable, remove coolant overflow tank, unbolt alternator and place it forward of the front valve cover,there are two studs with nuts and one bolt holding the steering pump to the engine.In order to get to the bolt you must first unbolt and remove the serpentine belt tensioner because the bolt is behind and under it. Suggest the idler pully be removed for better access to everything. Once the idler and tensioner are removed, the ps pump PULLEY must be removed or broken off (its made of plastic) OR remove the two nuts from the studs and remove the bolt that was hidden by the tensioner. Slide the pump assembly forward so that you can access the studs with vice grips and remove them this way OR take two nuts that are the correct size for the studs,tighten them against each other and rotate the inner nut counterclockwise until the stud is out... the fun part is trying to get an open end wrench in there... I recommend vice grip from above. The studs have to come out if you desire to remove the pump intact with the pulley attached, otherwise it will not have any clearance to come out. A new pulley costs $9.95 at advance auto, power steering pump about $45 same place. Plastic pulley must be pressed on and cannot be done with the bolt, washer and nut supplied with the pulley unless you lube the Hell out of the pulley, break a coupleof pulleys because the instructions are Crap. Take the works to an auto machine shop and let them press it on. Best way to get the pulley off the old pump is by breaking the thing off with a hammer so you have it free of the mount and with you for exchange (core charge is $35). The tool recommeded for removing the old pulley is a hair puller and all you will do is strip the threads in the pulley without budging the plastic piece of junk.Good luck, it took me two pulleys and lots of cussing to learn what I have written here. PS, don't forget to change the $18 power steering pump filter(FOR REAL)on the drivers side clipped to the frame.
    Sky4601 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2010, 06:03 PM

Wow. Thanks for the advice about the filter, and I feel your pain with the pulley. But my concern is the tention idler, I just have to remove the star bolt?
    Carl17 Posts: 66, Reputation: 9

Mar 31, 2010, 06:08 PM

Yes Sir. If you liked the answer, please visit my profile and rep+ comment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need a special tool to remove the belt off a '99 Ford Taurus? [ 8 Answers ]

I can not get at it with a socket, to close to the fender wall, do I need a special tool to remove the belt. I am needing to change the power steering pump.

? On a ford taurus [ 9 Answers ]

I got a 99 ford taurus that doesn't put out any heat. I replaced the heater core and new water pump what could be the problem

95 ford taurus [ 1 Answers ]

Lights blink - pinging sound - won't crank

Ford taurus [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1996 ford taurus not a bad car we had no major trouble until now .It ran out of gas and now I have to crank it many times before it finally starts and it keeps on stalling for the first 20 to 25 start,every time it starts it runs a little better for a few seconds then stalls again I keep...

91 ford Taurus [ 3 Answers ]

I have No Power going to the Starter Headlights or Brake Lights is there a grounding strap or something that could be the problem PLEASE HELP

View more questions Search