Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennykao76 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2010, 02:02 PM
    Refrigerator clunking when it shuts off?
    My 9 year old ge profile arctica fridge has been making a weird sound when it stops running for a while now - kind of a short knocking sound before a loud clunk. Is our compressor going out on us?
    stuartn Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Mar 25, 2010, 08:09 PM

The compressor sits on 3 springs inside the can. One of the springs is broken so when it stops it bangs against the side. The compressor itself should work fine as long as you can put up with the banging.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas furnace clunking [ 1 Answers ]

Trane gas furnace, at least 11 years old, mounted in attic. Earlier tonight it started making a "clunk clunk" sound, followed about three seconds later by a fainter single "click". A couple of seconds later it starts again with the "clunk clunk." Turn the furnace off and everything stops. Wait...

Loud Clunking Sound [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Amana Gas-fired Clothes Dryer that is making a VERY loud clunking sound. This just started a few weeks ago. What could this be? Thanks, Mary

New furnace clunking and banging [ 2 Answers ]

When the furnace was first installed it was fine and now a few days later it makes a banging/clunking noise when it turns on and shuts off. Is this a serious problem that we should be concerned about? I have tried talking to the installer and don't seem to be getting anywhere. Can anyone give us...

Refrigerator Shuts Off Spontaneously [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2-3 year old GE refrigerator. It has started to shut down for no reason that I can see. The breakers aren't tripping, and the light bulb is working, but the fridge is dark when I open it and I can't hear the motor. The plug is in properly, but the refrigerator loses power. When it...

View more questions Search