Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LottaKind Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2010, 09:53 AM
    I am 66 what age is Ok to withdraw 401K
    I am 66 and retired
    I want to withdraw my 401K in a lump sum in order to pay off a huge debt. Will I be penalized for that? Most of it will go for paying off my house

Mar 25, 2010, 10:03 AM

By the way I can leave it in there
    Or take a lumb sum
    Or roll over
    My health is not the best so I would like to get out of debt. I do Start SS this next month and have 2 small retirement checks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 02:19 PM

Once you are beyond age 59-1/2 you can take as much out of your 401(k) as you want without penalty. You do of course have to pay income tax on any withdrawal, but there is no additional penalty.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 02:57 PM

There should be no penalty, you will have to pay the tax on it, so keep enough of it back to pay the tax on the amount you withdraw

Mar 26, 2010, 03:37 AM
    They said they keep 20% out is that about right?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 26, 2010, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LottaKind View Post
    they said they keep 20% out is that about right?
    20% is the typical amount of withholding on distributions like this. But the actual amount of tax you will owe is dependent on your tax bracket. If you take out a big chunk all at once you may very well end up with an adjusted gross income figure that puts you in a higher bracket than you are used to, and so that 20% my actually not be enough. In addition, depending on where you live, you may also have state/local income taxes to pay, and they do not wihhold for that. If your anticipated state/local taxes on this is more than a few hundred $, I would recommend doing an estimated tax payment so that you don't forget and find yourself facing a big tax bill in April 2011.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K withdraw [ 1 Answers ]

I have not worked for the last 3 years so I am not contributing to my 401K from my last employer. There are some credit balances I would like to pay off with money from this account. Is it possible to withdraw? I will be 60 in 3 weeks.

Withdraw 401k over age 55 [ 1 Answers ]

I am over age 55 and have a 401k with about $200,000 that I need to access due to unemployment of > 4 months. We bought a house 5 months ago. Based on current economy, there are very few jobs in my occupation in this area at this time. Can you withdraw 50% of a 401k? How can I access about 1/2...

At the age of 59 1/2, how do you start the process to withdraw money from a 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I will be reaching 59 1/2 years old by the end of the year and need to tap into one of my 401K funds for some college money. How does that process start?

Withdraw 401K [ 2 Answers ]

If I quit my job, can I close my 401k and take the money and invest it myself? I have 71000 in the account and I want to start my own business, but I would like to use the 401k to pay off my house and other debts.

View more questions Search