Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myeassah Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2010, 01:46 PM
    My mother, close to 80 took something from Costco and forgot to pay.
    My mother, close to 80 took something from Costco and forgot to pay. Stopped at door and taken in to back room where she was asked to put it on the table. They took her picture, took away her membership card and told she was never to go in any Costco store again or she would be arrested. She also signed a piece of paper but can't give me a copy of it because they didn't give her one, so we don't know what she signed. She is so worried now that she has become sick. Walking through Costco has always meant a lot to her, but sometimes she forgets things. Now she just sits at home. Anybody know of something like this happening or happened to them? I don't think going to a lawyer would do any good because she didn't get arrested and they got their stuff back.
    myeassah Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2010, 03:01 PM
    Shoplifting??
    My mother, close to 80 took something from Costco and forgot to pay. Stopped at door and taken in to back room where she was asked to put it on the table. They took her picture, took away her membership card and told she was never to go in any Costco store again or she would be arrested. She also signed a piece of paper but can't give me a copy of it because they didn't give her one, so we don't know what she signed. She is so worried now that she has become sick. Walking through Costco has always meant a lot to her, but sometimes she forgets things. Now she just sits at home. Anybody know of something like this happening or happened to them? I don't think going to a lawyer would do any good because she didn't get arrested and they got their stuff back.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 23, 2010, 03:34 PM

Going to a lawyer would only makes matters worse. She has been banned from the store and not charged apparently. That's good, seeing as she is 80.

You will have to distract her by taking her to another similar store. She will forget it if you reassure her that everything is okay. Does she understand what happened at all ?

I know of no other circumstance like this involving a senior, but several with younger people.

Ms tick
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 23, 2010, 03:37 PM

It's really too late to do anything about it now.

If you knew that she has memory lapses and forgets to pay for things, then the best course of action would have been to make sure she was accompanied to the store, to prevent something like this from happening.

The fact is, she left without paying. The store doesn't care why, they just see it as stealing (which it is, even if she has memory lapses) and they've actually cut her a break by just banning her and not charging her.

She needs to let it go and move on.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2010, 03:47 PM

You could always go talk to the Manager/Owner, and tell them the reasoning behind your mom taking it. They may let her back in with supervision (if it happened once they might be worried it will happen again). Also for the paper, go in and tell the manager you want to see what your mom signed.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2010, 04:14 PM

Find another hobby for granny other than walking around Costco and absentmindedly stuffing things in her purse.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2010, 04:19 PM

Shop lifting is not much of a hobby, of course there is always walmart and Sams club.

Any store, and esp those that require membership and rstrict who shops in their stores. It is common to not allow people who have stolen things to come into the store.

If Granny has this problem, perhaps she also should not be left alone and one may want to think of a better living environment for her.
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2010, 05:14 PM

Costco is not going to let her back in. They don't play as they are a wholesaler and don't have to care if you shop there or not. They are tough on shoplifters. Be lucky granny didn't go to jail.

Get a different hobby for granny like gardening where she can't get into much "trouble" due to her forgetfulness. Or take her to the library instead.

If she is 80 years old and able to get to Costco all by herself and cruise around the aisles for who knows how long I'm beginning to think granny really knew what she was doing.

You've asked this question on several boards now. Hopefully you need to rethink granny's innocence and act accordingly.
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2010, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Going to a lawyer would only makes matters worse. She has been banned from the store and not charged apparently. Thats good, seeing as she is 80.

You will have to distract her by taking her to another similar store. She will forget it if you reassure her that everything is okay. Does she understand what happened at all ?

I know of no other circumstance like this involving a senior, but several with younger people.

ms tick
    Tick, I really wouldn't recommend taking granny into another store as she just might do the same thing there and end up in jail if that store decides to have her arrested.

And it appears that granny gets around by herself unaccompanied and obviously unsupervised.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 23, 2010, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Tick, I really wouldn't recommend taking granny into another store as she just might do the same thing there and end up in jail if that store decides to have her arrested.

And it appears that granny gets around by herself unaccompanied and obviously unsupervised.
    Hi, twink, I probably should have said to take granny on a shopping trip accompanied, I also would have thought that would be a no brainer. I have to wonder though, how granny drives herself around at 80. I can't really believe she gets around herself really well. Maybe we will be enlightened as to how she does this on her own.

I hardly think a store would be intolerant enough to arrest or charge an 80 year old woman, twink.

Tick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2010, 06:17 PM

Posts merged

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If child becomes a mother do I still have to pay? [ 1 Answers ]

My daugther is 17 now and has a baby she hasn't been in school since she was 12years old. The order was done in 2005 whe I was leaving her mother but I didn't leave till 2007.what do I do they are getting me for back time since 2005 when I was still living with my family?

How can I find my biological mother if I'm not 21 yet and I do not have to pay [ 1 Answers ]

Help me I want to find my brith mother and brith father how can I do that if I'm not 21 years old yet

Zt computers costco [ 1 Answers ]

Will Costco or ZT upgrade my ZT computer that I bought at costco (which I am having a lot of problems with) from From Window Vista Home to Window 7? Has anyone else asked these questions of either Costco or ZT?

Do I pay taxes on inheritance from my mother [ 11 Answers ]

My mother just passed away and leave me 200,000 dollars from her investments, do I pay taxes.

View more questions Search