Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christinaskye Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2010, 10:29 PM
    Im about to meet my new boyfriends kids for the first time, what is proper?
    Im about to meet my new boyfriends kids for the first time, I'm not sure if it is proper to bring them gifts, or not? What is proper when meeting the kids?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 20, 2010, 11:17 PM

You want them to like you for you, not for what you can give them. Rather than gifts, take along age-appropriate activities you can do with them -- paint books and brushes, sticker books, books to read together, a family of hand puppets, or just go basic with crayons and construction or printer paper for drawing pictures together.

When I used to babysit, I would take along cute stickers of wild and domestic animals, sheets of printer paper, and crayons. We would first draw a scene with the crayons -- some hills, a tree or two, a lake in the foreground, a sun smiling happily. Then we would add animal stickers here and there. After we were all finished, we would take turns telling a story about our picture or putting one together as a group project -- depends on the ages of the children.

If the weather is good and you will be in a big back yard or park, take along a big ball and Frisbee and jump rope.

In other words, if you spend money at all, don't spend much. The children want your attention and to get to know you as a fun person who will spend time with them. They don't want your money. Trust me!
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Mar 21, 2010, 04:38 AM

I think that spending time with them is better than buying a gift.

Wait until you get to know them better before buying a gift, then you can get something more specific to their liking.

When you go on a first date, you're not exactly going to buy the guy a gift. What would you buy? You don't even know him. I think the same idea applies to kids that you've never met before.

If you want them to like you, then spend some quality time with them doing so that you can get to know them better.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 21, 2010, 09:01 AM

How old are they?

Girls, boys?

How long have you been together?

How old are you?

How does he get along with his ex?

How long was he single before you met?

How long has he been getting his kids on a regular basis?

Where are you meeting them?

Do you have kids??

I hope you, and he, make a plan together.

Mar 21, 2010, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    How old are they?

Girls, boys?
    2 boys and 1 girl

How long have you been together?
    a month

How old are you?
    How does he get along with his ex?
    i guess so
    How long was he single before you met?
    2 yrs
    How long has he been getting his kids on a regular basis?
    he has his kids
    Where are you meeting them??
    his house
    Do you have kids???
    no
    I hope you, and he, make a plan together.
    I will.

Mar 21, 2010, 08:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You want them to like you for you, not for what you can give them. Rather than gifts, take along age-appropriate activities you can do with them -- paint books and brushes, sticker books, books to read together, a family of hand puppets, or just go basic with crayons and construction or printer paper for drawing pictures together.

When I used to babysit, I would take along cute stickers of wild and domestic animals, sheets of printer paper, and crayons. We would first draw a scene with the crayons -- some hills, a tree or two, a lake in the foreground, a sun smiling happily. Then we would add animal stickers here and there. After we were all finished, we would take turns telling a story about our picture or putting one together as a group project -- depends on the ages of the children.

If the weather is good and you will be in a big back yard or park, take along a big ball and Frisbee and jump rope.

In other words, if you spend money at all, don't spend much. The children want your attention and to get to know you as a fun person who will spend time with them. They don't want your money. Trust me!

Thanks, I have been thinking about this before and didn't know what is proper, I really appreciate it

Mar 21, 2010, 08:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by I wish View Post
    I think that spending time with them is better than buying a gift.

Wait until you get to know them better before buying a gift, then you can get something more specific to their liking.

When you go on a first date, you're not exactly going to buy the guy a gift. What would you buy? You don't even know him. I think the same idea applies to kids that you've never met before.

If you want them to like you, then spend some quality time with them doing so that you can get to know them better.

Thanks, I appriciate your advice
    jaffeyjoeblaze Posts: 157, Reputation: 16

Mar 21, 2010, 10:11 PM

Bring nothing, just be nice and try to get to know them... trust me I went through the same thing before and did not know how to react but I learned what is right and wrong with kids when meeting them...

Get to know them, try to make them comfortable and realize it is the first time you are meeting them... since he has custody of the kids it is important to him that you are somebody he would like to have his kids around so make sure you at least TRY... once he sees that he will know how much better of a person you are and the relationship will improve greatly...
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2010, 10:28 PM
    As others have said, don't take gifts... unless it is a part of the culture where you live... there are those where bringing gifts is a custom... but you don't mention this.

And id show measured interest in getting to know them... as in who they are and what they like and their interests. I say "measured" because its silly to go overboard with feigned interest... this of course is moderated by their ages... to be a hero to a 3 year old is easy. Get on your knees and play. Make silly sounds. Be a jungle gym. As they get older, you need to adjust.

When I started to date a single mother with a young daughter one of the things I failed to do was show enough interest in her... it wasn't that I wasn't interested... I just tried to give her too much room. She didn't seem to care for me (the guy taking time with her mother away from her) and I thought she needed the space.

Sure... maybe she did... or maybe not. It wasn't until I started making myself clearly vested in her interests that she warmed up... for ex, she went away for a week and while she was gone I helped paint her room and move in new furniture.

Tho' she was thrilled with the new digs, it was really about the attention to her likes that was more important... she saw that I wasn't just taking up time.

Now... I'm not saying try to do all of this with your first meeting... just be prepared for it to maybe not be everything you hope for, and understand that showing genuine interest is really the best thing you can do.

I remember at one point, when the daughter was going through a fit of really not wanting me there... writing magnetic hate poetry on the fridge, covering up my pictures with magnets... that the mother said to me "shes a good girl. she will come around in time"... she was and she did...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I Don't know what to say her. First time she call me to meet. [ 2 Answers ]

HI friends help me urgent... On Monday I'm going to meet her... she herself call me first time... Actually I love her she knows.. . she also love me... I know... Were best friends... She is hesitating because she had break up with someone few months ago... I want to propose her... what...

My boyfriends wife is trying to take his kids, and my son. [ 1 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been dating for almost two years and he is still married to his wife. Well she making up lies to the police and telling them he is abusive with her and his kids. He hasn't touched them to my knowledge, but she had a injunction put against him so he can't see his kids. Well...

No Time to meet new people [ 4 Answers ]

Well, much of the advice that is given, is to go out and do things and meet new people. I can completely understand how that definitely will make a difference in getting over a relationship, however, there isn't very much time for me to do so. I work much of the day time (1pm-10pm) and only have...

It's almost time to meet Hanna [ 1 Answers ]

Just wanted to let everyone know that if she doesn't come on her own by Monday there going to make her come out. I'm due next Wendesday and have made it much farther then anyone predicted but their not get let me go to my due date. I'll keep you posted. Wish me luck ////////////////

Boyfriends soon to be ex doesn't want me to be around the kids [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I live in Ohio. We have worked together and been good friends for 7 years. I have been divorced for 15 months. My boyfriend has been separated for 10 months and has been working with his ex and their attorneys on an amicable dissolution. When the courts ordered child support of a...

View more questions Search