Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loreta16 Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Mar 13, 2010, 09:02 PM
    My dog ate a meat bone my dad gave him. My dog is now shaking and is lethargic
    My dad heard on a radio show it is good to give dogs bones. So he gave my dog a meat bone and now my dog is shaking and acting lethargic. What should I do I am worried and concerned??
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 09:11 PM

What type of bone was it? When did everything start? Was it shortly after eating or next day ?

Mar 13, 2010, 09:14 PM

It was a rib bone and it started about 30 minutes after he ate it. He is a small Lhasa Aposo.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 09:17 PM

Is he breathing OK, or is the shaking him having trouble breathing ?

Mar 13, 2010, 09:20 PM

He is shaking and his breathing is slow. He is lying on the floor whimpering.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 09:21 PM

It sounds like your dog is in stress and needs to see a vet right now. This appears to be an emergency from what your describing.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 09:27 PM
    Is it a pork bone? Beef bone?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2010, 11:36 PM

If he actually eat the bone, or got pieces off it I wouldn't be wasting time, I'd be taking him to the vet asap.

Bones both cooked and raw can cause blockages or pierce vital organs.
    I myself do feed the occasional raw bone but only under close supervision and the bones is always bigger than the dog could possibly swallow, I never, ever feed cooked bones.
    Cooked bones can splinter when being chewed and if swallowed almost have an effect of razor blades in the dogs stomach.

Feed both bread and if you can get some soaked cotton balls into him to help cushion the edges of the bones until you can get him to the vet.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Mar 14, 2010, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    If he actually eat the bone, or got pieces off it I wouldn't be wasting time, I'd be taking him to the vet asap.

Bones both cooked and raw can cause blockages or pierce vital organs.
    I myself do feed the occasional raw bone but only under close supervision and the bones is always bigger than the dog could possibly swallow, I never, ever feed cooked bones.
    Cooked bones can splinter when being chewed and if swallowed almost have an effect of razor blades in the dogs stomach.

Feed both bread and if you can get some soaked cotton balls into him to help cushion the edges of the bones until you can get him to the vet.

Yes get him to the vet. I saw on Animal Cops once where a dog ate a bone and it got caught in its throat, untimately causing labored breathing and the dog was not able to eat and became very emaciated.

Anytime your dog's breathing is comprimised it should be taken to the vet.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2010, 12:11 PM

Any out of the ordinary behavior is reason to take the animal to a Vet. Not to scare you but my neighbor's dog had a perforated stomach from a bone. No one noticed and the dog could not be saved.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2010, 12:20 PM

I just got to this thread. I hope that you have taken your dog to get checked out by now.

Can you let us know what's up?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog ate a pork bone [ 13 Answers ]

My fox terrier ate a pork bone last night and this morning at 6 am he went out to potty and was having trouble pooping. I let him in and out a few times finally when he did go it was in the house and when I cleaned it up I noticed it was hard and had bone fragments in it. Then he started to throw...

Dog is lethargic and won't drink [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old Boxer that has been lethargic all day and I don't think she has drank anything all day either. I took her temp earlier and it was fine (101.3). I just can't sleep worrying about her not knowing if I should be taking her to the ER vet. Her gums are pink, she doesn't seem to be...

Dog ate bone whole [ 2 Answers ]

M small dog ate a rib bone whole. Will he be okay?

My dog ate a pork bone [ 2 Answers ]

My dog ate a cooked pork bone tonight. My dad gave it to her thinking that it was OK because we have given her beef bones and she does good with those. I am worried because I heard that they split and can do a lot of damage. I don't know what to do. She is a lab/beagle mix and about 50lbs. Do I...

My dog will not eat anything but any type of meat what can I feed her besides meat? [ 2 Answers ]

My dog,Sheba,will not eat anything but meat.I know why she won't but how do I get her to eat dog food again?Sheba is nine years old and she has some arthritis and I put an arthritis pill,that my veternarian gave me, in her dog food a couple weeks ago and now she won't eat her dog food because the...

View more questions Search