Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    austinknowlton Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2010, 09:26 AM
    What is minimum thickness for drywall on 24 inch spaced wall studs?
    New home construction. Oakville Ontario.
    Architect suggests 5/8" drywall on stud spacing of 24" centers for the interior wall. Can I use 1/2"?

Same question applies for ceiling drywall Trusses at 24" c-c. Can I use 1/2" gyprock? I understood that with the stronger drywall sheets now available we can use 1/2" on the ceiling
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 10, 2010, 07:20 PM

Ask the local building inspector what code he follows and what he will approve. Codes vary so its hard for us to advise you without knowing which code. You will be inspected so ask the inspector now. Most folks who hire and architect do so because they know that he knows building structure better than the home owner. Why are you doubting his recommendation?
    austinknowlton Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2010, 06:02 AM
    Why doubt atchitect's advice. Years back we used 5/8" drywall on ceilings attached to trusses at 24" c-c. The local Drywall supplied advised us that with the newer stiffer drywall available we could use lighter 1/2" sheets without fear of sagging etc. Our architect is recommending 5/8" ceiling board.

As for the walls, we are going greener which is to say, we are extending the stud spacing from 16" c-c out to 24" c-c. Since we know from experience that he's off on the ceiling it prompted me to ask about the wall sheet thickness.

Besides, its nice hearing from folk like you.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 06:07 AM

Is 24" stud spacing code? I Never see it.
    I see 24" spacing on ceiling, but even then, there are Nailers that reduce this span.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 11, 2010, 08:55 AM

Old code book (US) but I don't think these things change. Read notes.

I don't think I would let a desire to "go green" compromise the integrity of my home.
    Attached Images

435Studio Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Mar 11, 2010, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Is 24" stud spacing code? I Never see it.
    I see 24" spacing on ceiling, but even then, their are Nailers that reduce this span.
    I think I've seen 24" spacing with 2x6 walls, always thought that 2x4s needed 16" oc, not an expert, just what I remember seeing...
    PatcyMcn Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Mar 11, 2010, 02:23 PM

I don't think you'll find 5/8".

Go with 1/2" if the thicker isn't available
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 02:55 PM

I don't think I would have larger than 16" spacing for strength, Even If code allowed.
    If Money was a major factor, then 24".
    24" is cheaper, why doesn't everyone use it?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 11, 2010, 08:19 PM

If you have an architect you must be pulling a permit, ask the inspector what he will approve. In post 3 I think you said they supplier said one thintg and the architect said something else. Yep, one of them is wrong but you think it's the architect who has no money stake in the thickness of drywall. The supplier who makes money on what he sells may be directing you to something more expensive or a stock overage he has.
    carpenter-t Posts: 88, Reputation: 19

Mar 13, 2010, 04:26 PM

where I live 16 on center is code with both 2x4 or 2x6.5/8 is fire code.2x6 is used more often for walls so you can use r19 insulation.your ceiling should have straping nailed on the joist or tusses in your case at 16 on center even if the joist are 24.windows and door jambs are made for both stud thicknesses based on 1/2 inch sheathing and 1/2 wall board if you go thicker on either you will need to make jamb exstensions.as far as architects go I have worked with really good ones and some that were idiots.I believe that an architect should have to work in the constrution field a few years first.
    Guest333 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2012, 08:00 PM
    The people who owned my home before I did, put 3/8" drywall on 24 c-c studs (in the basement rec room), then put up cheap paneling.

I removed the paneling because it was TOO dark. If I lean a little on the drywall horizontal seam, the sheets bow considerably. Had they been taped and mudded, there would be cracks all along these seams.

I found this forum looking for an answer to this same question, even though I had already decided to use the thickest drywall available (5/8"), rather than risk cracks forming.

Just food for thought...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2012, 08:10 PM
    There has been a recent trend to stacked studs. In this case, 2x4 are stacked directly above another and 2x4 are used on 24" centers. All garages in GA are now are required yo have 5/8" X rated drywall on any wall that touches a living space. 5/8" is commonly available.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2012, 05:18 AM
    U can use 1/2'' if u want. Be sure to break the seams. This willadd strength to seams of 1/2'' S/R

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing in-wall speakers, need to reconfigure studs [ 12 Answers ]

We are hanging a flat TV on the wall and installing in-wall speakers around it. The problem is that we run into studs where we want to put the speakers. It may seem like overkill to tear into a wall to get the speakers where we want, but I want this to look right and am willing to make the...

Pipe seal broken and leaking in to my drywall and studs. [ 3 Answers ]

During heavy rains, I have noticed that my 2nd floor bathroom wall is wet at the tapecoat seem between both factory edges of the sheet rock. Directly above my bathroom is an eves. I went into the eves and noticed that an IV drip of water if following a PVC exhaust pipe. I open the wall in my...

How to hang doors when wall has metal studs [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just bought a house with a partially finished basement. The interior walls are metal studs. I need to hang doors in a couple of these walls. I believe I need to frame out the opening with wood and hang the door using self-tapping screws (from some of the other questions I've seen answered...

Finding wall studs [ 1 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to locate wall studs?

View more questions Search