Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doltish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 08:54 AM
    Toilet leaking around base, back up into tub when flush, kitchen sink back up
    Seem like everything is back up. Recently I've been having issue with my plumbing all around. The toilet seems to be backing up into the tub and is leaking around the base. I could hear water bubble sound coming up the toilet when I try to run water down the tub. As for the kitchen sink it seems to be backing up to. Water just won't drain down right away and dark residue seems to be coming up. I live in a small town and it's city sewers if that helps at all.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 09:10 AM

You have a clogged sewer. Call Roto Rooter to snake your sewer pipe.
    doltish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 10:04 AM
    Thank you for answering. I thought so. It's quite sad in the past 2 years I've had this house roto rooter 2-3 times already. Is it common for an old house? And is there anyway to prevent this?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 9, 2010, 10:18 AM

If sewer backs up twice a year it usually tells you you may have bigger problem. We usually suggest video inspection. It tells you exactly what's causing the problem. No guessing here.

Yes, it is nothing unusual to have this happen in 50 year-old-house.

As far as prevention goes, there is really not too much you can do about it. You may have roots growing inside your sewer line, collapsed pipe or low points. At this point, do not flush down the toilet anything else but toilet paper.

Sewer replacement or relining are quite expensive projects. You may want to control the problem by calling roto-rooter every six months or so, to prevent unexpected sewer back ups. This way you will by some time until you are ready to deal with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My tub and sink faucet drip when I flush my toilet. [ 2 Answers ]

My tub and sink faucet drip when I flush my toilet. Also have sewer smell in the house and have heard a gurgle from the tub when flushing... not always though. Drain in the sink is slow... using Draino as we speak... but the problem has been around longer than the slow drain. Does this sound like a...

Kitchen Sink/Garbage Disposal back up into Basement Utility Sink [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Our house is an expanded & completely remodelled older home, with new main floor kitchen incl. garbage disposal and dishwasher which drains into kitchen sink line. Our kitchen sink drain will sometimes backup into our utility sink in the basement, including solid food particles from the...

Back up in Kitchen Sink [ 1 Answers ]

So every time we turn on the garbage disposal, water backs up into the sink. We have to wait a half hour for all the water to go down. We have tried Liquid Plumber, but it hasn't worked. What is next?

Kitchen sink back up [ 1 Answers ]

Kitchen has a double sink. The right side has the disposal and the left side has the trap. Both sink pipes enter separately into the wall. When the disposal is turned on, the water backs up into the left side of the sink and also smells like sewer. What is happening and what can I do about it?

Kitchen Sink Back Up [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I recently replaced a double bowl stainless sink in the kitchen, with the same type. I replaced the drain on the one side, and replaced the other side with a garbage disposer. The sink is now backing up into both bowls when the dishwasher empties and when the disposer is used. I had...

View more questions Search