Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stuccoit1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2010, 10:05 AM
    How to stop moisture on your cinder block house
    1950 cinder block house with new double pane windows, concrete foundation, gas wall heaters, and two osculating attic vents on top of the roof. The landlord says to cover them up during winter months and uncover them during the summer the walls sweat, the windows sweat, carpet sweat, creating mold the house never really gets warm. What can I do to prevent all the moisture and mold. 916-904-2581 [email protected]
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Feb 26, 2010, 07:42 PM

I had a humidity problem in a house of similar construction due to a section of dirt floor in the basement combined with improper downspout drainage and landscape grading away from the house. Correcting the drainage, landscaping, and installing a dehumidifier sized for the basement area solved the problem.

I had some mold but never any sweat even with 95% relativity humidity inside the house. You must have a lot of moisture (the carpet is sweating! ) Figure out where the moisture is coming from (roof leak?) and then take steps to address it, or better yet, let the landlord figure out where the moisture is coming from and fix it. Mold is a health hazard and can be cause for a structure to be deemed uninhabitable and condemned by many localities.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Mar 1, 2010, 03:48 PM

I would definitely check the humidity before you start so that you have a baseline. Go to any home and garden store and pick up a cheap thermometer that has a humidity gauge built in. Mine says that 45%-65% humidity is in the normal range. Put one in the basement and another on the first floor of your house. Check the humidity and go from there. This way you'll know for sure whether you need the dehumidifier.

Another thing that comes to mind is whether your house has a proper vapor barrier in the walls. Just something else for you to look into.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between a cinder block and a concrete block? [ 2 Answers ]

I am working on a basement bathroom renovation in a basement built in 1969. Fasteners for the firring strips state they are not to be used in cinder block walls, but are OK in concrete block walls. How can I tell what I have?

Difference between concrete block and cinder block [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between concrete block and cinder block when used in a home's foundation? What makes cinder block less desirable?

Is it Cinder Block Mold [ 1 Answers ]

A small room in the basement houses the furnace, electric water heater, water well pump and a crock in the floor with water which is pumped out a couple times daily. This room has been a bit humid as the rest of the basement. Black areas have appeared on the cinder block walls. With a finder wipe...

Covering cinder block [ 7 Answers ]

Our family is relocating and we're looking at buying a house with block foundation, conventional frame, vinyl siding and a Basement. The concern I have (only viewed it on-line) is the walkout basement is exposed cinder block. Is it possible to put vinyl siding on cinder block (home was built in...

Mold in cinder block house. [ 4 Answers ]

I hope I am posting in the right place. I am an American living in Bucharest Romania. We rent a house.. a very old house with a small basement that we do not use. It is very musty and probably moldy... but I have never ventured that far. My husband has been down there and it is empty except for...

View more questions Search