Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dodge magnum Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2006, 11:21 AM
    Hot light switch cover
    Hello I was wandering if you could answer a question? Our light switch cover downstairs gets really hot. In fact the wall above the cover is warm too. I took the cover off and the wires smelt like warm plastic. We reacently purchased this home. It is 35 yrs old and in great condition other than that. I look forward to your response.
    Sincerely glenn muncey
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 10, 2006, 11:52 AM
    It appears you have a short on this circuit, you need to remove power to this immeadiately! Is the light the only thing this switch controls ? Is this a standard light or a light fan combo perhaps ?
    dodge magnum Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2006, 12:12 PM
    Light switch
    I had asked a question about our light switch cover and had a reply that we had a problem with the circuit and to disconect power immediately. This light switch is the switch for the garage and the mud room downstairs. They are the only two things on this light switch. The next question I was wandering was How can I fix this myself other than having an electrician come in?
    Thank you glenn muncey
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 01:06 PM
    Usually a real short will trip the breaker. This sounds like an overload plus a defective or over size breaker. Somebody may have solved the breaker tripping by putting in a bigger one. No, no, bad dog! Shut the breaker off and do some investigating. It may well be something you can fix with help from the better people here. It is hard to see how a few lights could over load even a typical 15 amp #14 wire circuit. I did fix an over loaded 20 amp circuit at my church by replacing dozens of 60 watt bulbs with 40 watt ones.

Check the lights on the circuit, make sure there aren't some outside ones too, adding up the wattage. If it is more than 1440, you have found the problem. If not, go to the breaker box. What size is the breaker? If more than 15 amp, try to get access to the cable. It must say on it 12 gauge for a 20 amp breaker, and 10 gauge for a 30 amp one. The switch also has an amperage rating on it to check. The breaker, the wire, switch, etc. all need to be 125% of the load. Watts/120volts = amps. Certainly you don't need an electrician to put smaller light bulbs in. If you need the extra light, look at compact fluorescent bulbs. Even replacing light fixtures is common for DIY.

From there it gets tougher. Regardless of the wire size, the breaker needs to be replaced. A 15 amp breaker that didn't trip before a #14 wire overheated should be trashed. Replacing it is not a good DIY starter project.

If the above doesn't fix the problem, Post back. You may or may not be able to rat out the problem yourself. And by the way, it makes it easier for us, if you keep all the questions on the subject in one thread.

By the way, if the circuit is defective, you may be able to make the seller pay to have an electrician fix it.

To do simple checks like this you do need some tools. A test light, a meter, or a voltage detector might be the best place to start with. I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit. You do not have to open up housings and expose electrical contacts. You are looking at where your hand is, not where the meter is. Most people are capable of doing repairs and will get it going and not get hurt if they use a little sense. The voltage detector makes it even easier.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 01:45 PM
    I think the problem may be a defective switch or a loose connection at the switch, assuming the load is not overloading the switch. You say the garage and mud room lights, but you don't say how much wattage.

Try changing the switch with a good "Spec Grade " switch. Get back here with the total amount of load so we can be sure the load is fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Light Switch and Fixture [ 1 Answers ]

Bought a 72 Mobile Home. Want to install new hall light. From box comes B & W(B) light Switch wires. Main Feed w/ B & W & Ground. than 2nd set B, W & Ground. The circuit breaker for this powers the following Kitch & LR & BR light as well as the Hall light & switch. Im think that the...

Light and switch issue [ 3 Answers ]

I am attempting to replace an existing light fixture. I have discovered four wires coming into the opening. When I connect the new light *** the old one was I only have power before the light and the new light comes on. No power to the rooms beyond the light. In addition, the new light is on...

Light switch problem [ 3 Answers ]

This site has been such a great help I though I would ask you a question about an electrical problem we are having. I have a home that is 2 years old and noticed from day one that we had some light switches that would arc slight when they were turned on. It turned out that the were wired using the...

Light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a foyer light which is on a three way switch, one is a 1000 watt dimer. The other day the light would not work while switching the dimmer. I went to the other switch and flipped it and it worked. It has worked properly prior to this episode and now works properly again from both positions. I...

Two-way light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure how to fit an external light, taking it from a one-way switch & converting it into a Two-way, my kitchen light switch's are at either end of the room. So I went & brought a Two-way switch to fit in next to the back door of my kitchen. How do I transfer power to the extra switch that I...

View more questions Search