Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hslove142331 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2010, 04:12 PM
    Write the net chemical equation for the reaction?
    Oxidation of NO to NO2 ― one of the reactions in the production of smog ― appears to involve carbon monoxide. A possible mechanism is

CO + * OH --> CO2 + H *
    H * + O2 --> HOO *
    HOO * + NO --> * OH + NO2

(The formulas with stars(*) represent extremely reactive species with unpaired electrons and are called free radicals).

I need to write the net chemical equation for this reaction.

Please help me how to do it..

CO + O2 + NO ---------> CO2 + NO2?

please help
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2010, 12:58 AM

Yup, that's right. In fact, the H*, HOO* and O*H are acting as a catalyst here. Since free radicals are very reactive, the reaction is very fast. Without the free radicals, the reaction would be slower.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Write balanced chemical equation for the reaction, I did it! But I am not sure. [ 4 Answers ]

write the balanced chemical equation for the reaction of Fe2+ with MnO4- in acidic solution. I did it , but I am not sure. Please check it for me H^+ + MnO4^- + Fe2+ ---------------> Mn2+ + Fe3+ + H2O

How can we balance chemical equation by combustion reaction of hydrocarbon? [ 2 Answers ]

Balancing Chemical Equation by combustion reaction of hydrocarbon

Write a complete balanced skeleton chemical reaction equation from words [ 1 Answers ]

1.) Tin foil will oxidize when exposed to oxygen forming tin (II) oxide. 2.) When solid potassium is added to water, hydrogen gas and aqueous potassium hydroxide are produced. 3.) Solid calcium hydrogen carbonate reacts with hydrochloric acid to produce aqueous calcium chloride, water, and carbon...

The Net Ionic Equation for this reaction? URGENT! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi people I can't figure out the net ionic equation for this reaction... I don't know if I'm supposed to separate the Fe from the negative ions, or what? Just let me know what the equation is, thnks! need net ionic equation for following chemical reactions: Fe(NH4)2(SO4)2 . 6H20 + KMnO4...

View more questions Search