Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carol Ellis Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2008, 08:28 PM
    How can I tell someone used my computer after I turned it off?
    My friend showed me on her laptop how she can tell when someone turns on her laptop & even when someone attached a little thumb drive & copied files to the drive. I have tried to find this on my computer (a Dell PC with Microsoft XP Professional) but I can't find this information. I think someone is logging on to my computer & copying files. I can't password protect it because I share it. I believe this happens after we have gone. I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me how to solve this mystery.
    VB_2008 Posts: 18, Reputation: 0

May 16, 2008, 01:08 PM
    How do you mean? Do you want to know if someone hacked your computer?
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Put a logon password that only the people who use it know what it is
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 16, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol Ellis
    My friend showed me on her laptop...
    She may have specialized software. In any case, you can view the Event Viewer via Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools. Select the System group and there will be a list of information and probably some error items. Double-click on an item to view the entry. From these you can at least see a pattern of dates and time of when the machine was started and stopped.
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

May 16, 2008, 10:23 PM
    Look at the System Event viewer in Admin tools. This will definitely show you when the computer was used last.
    BloFish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 05:53 AM
    I just password my files with 7zip or winrar
    cameleon Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 11:50 AM

First you should put a password on your logon then you can verify with the event viewer,to password all the files are OK but when you share a PC is not so practical operation,because you need the write the password every time you want to do a operation copy/move so on.
    kurasmag Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2011, 08:39 AM

Win logo+R
    >type
    Eventvwr.msc
    >enter
    >view PC usage info.
    KCarson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2013, 01:11 AM
    My place was broken into. I keep my email and face book logged in... I went to the browser history and it shows activity for the time my room was broken into... does this mean that they turned my computer on and viewed the contents that are showing the activity on this date as well?
    marvincruz94 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2013, 01:23 AM
    So sorry to hear this terrible news. My home was broken into in the past. If search history was recorded during the time you suspect this break-in occurred, the person(s) who broke in used your computer and navigated the web.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer turned on, nothing on screen [ 9 Answers ]

I turned on my comp, power comes on but there isn't anything on screen as if I was away from my computer for a long period. I triple checked all wires, un-plugged and replugged everything, switch new monitor and it won't work. Someone please help me.

Computer how do I stop limewire setup dialog from popping up on my computer [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help me stop limewire setup dialog from popping up on my computer, it always pop up while I am in the middle of something

Monitor flashes "no signal" when computer is turned on [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a new power supply and now my monitor will not come on. It quickly flashes, "no signal" once then nothing. Everything worked fine until the power supply went out.

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

View more questions Search