Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caby2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 06:51 AM
    TV keeps turning itself off - why?
    I have had my TV for 3 years, over the last few days it turns itself off. This happens 2-3 times a day, about every 20mins or so. Is it telling me its on its last legs or does anyone think its worth repairing?

Does anyone have any answers - caby2
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Aug 30, 2006, 08:13 AM
    How much did it cost?

Don't know where you live, but I bought 42" plasma January 2005 cost 1100.00 GBP. If it packs up now, I'm buying new. Cost of repair 25.00 GBP for someone to come and tell me that it's got to go into the workshop. As it's over 30Kgs, I need a two man collection, 35.00 GBP. Then 30.00 GBP an hour, estimates are 75.00 GBP (refundable if I decide to have it repaired). If I decide not to go ahead, do I want it returned another two man delivery!

OK the repair is guaranteed for 12 months(?) but what happens if something else goes wrong, we start all over again.

Having said all that, it sounds like the remote circuit to turn off the TV is playing up. Good luck.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 7, 2006, 09:21 AM
    I would look at either the on/off button faulty or a heat sink not doing it's job.

Either way, the solution is quite simple. The on/off button simply toggles a low voltage circuit that powers your TV. If it is dusty, it may complete the electrical circuit and send a false signal.
    A heat sink may be dusty and unable to dissipate heat. Overtemp protection may be switching the TV off.

I would take a can of compressed air, open the back and clean the dust off the circuit boards.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2006, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by caby2
    I have had my tv for 3 years, over the last few days it turns itself off. This happens 2-3 times a day, about every 20mins or so. Is it telling me its on its last legs or does anyone think its worth repairing?

Does anyone have any answers - caby2
    Maybe its telling you that you spend too much time in front of it and need to be less of a couch potato! :D

Sorry couldn't resist.

I think Bhayne is on the right track.
    Taukame Posts: 92, Reputation: 26

Sep 7, 2006, 02:35 PM
    My television has a commercial skip button on it that will shut it off after a certain amount of minutes. Because I constantly drop, sit on and let the cat play with the remote sometimes I set it by accident, as well as a timer button same thing. But in my case I have to agree with ScottGem, it may just be telling me to get out of its face for a few.
    EduPagani Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2006, 02:51 PM
    Ok, this may be basic, but do you have the TV timer (sleep mode) set to 20 minutes?
    (DOn't let the kids play with the remote, caby... )
    :)
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 9, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Is this a CRT (tube) TV? Or what kind ?
    clouded Posts: 31, Reputation: 3
    -

Dec 9, 2006, 08:16 PM
    It sounds like a power supply problem.

Do you have an RCA?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2006, 10:24 PM
    It could be a friendly ghost visiter. Showing you that they are present. Letting you know.

Or there could be signal interference from some where else that is effecting your electronic product.

Or has others said sleep button.

If you do not have a sleep button then my first 2 suggestions are best. (;

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outside fan not turning [ 4 Answers ]

We have a ~10 yr old AG unit. Seven weeks ago, we noticed the outside unit was running, but the fan was not turning. Oil was added. That worked for several weeks. Last week, the fan stopped again. The tech replaced the fan motor this time. Now, 5 days later, the fan is not turning again. Could...

Gas furnace not turning on [ 1 Answers ]

I've replaced the thermostat but my old one was so dated I couldn't see any significant number settings e.g. anticipator setting. What's that?

Knocks when turning [ 4 Answers ]

'93 Ford Taurus knocks when turning both left and right.

Turning off CD auto run [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help I want To turn off CD auto run. I'm using Windows XP Home; I've tried start>run>gpedit.msc but I just keep getting the message can not find file. Does anyone know if there's any other way to do it.?

View more questions Search